Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I would discourage you from buying anything other than a lens that functions fully automatically (focus, exposure) on your camera.

I'd also discourage you from buying a lens you can't either test before you buy, or return without any cost to you. The DA 55-300 I purchased was a dud, as was another lens I purchased.

Paul

06-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #17
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Welcome aboard! I can recommend that you get a AA Battery adapter, a Rocket Blower to clean dust from the interior, a Nikon Lens Brush, and a hood (the kit lenses don't come with them). An extra fast SD card like a SanDisk Extreme III is optional but I think you'll appreciate it. You should then be set until you decide what you want to do, what sort of photos you want to take, and learn the camera.

The AA Adapter can be found for around $10 on eBay. Lets you use Eneloops or other AAs instead of the proprietary battery.

The Rocket Blower is also around $10 and is an essential in any kit IMHO for when, and you will, get dust on the sensor. Its gotten it off mine several times without any hassles.

As I recall the hood for the 18-55 is a 52mm. You can get a Pentax knock-off that fits the bayonet mount on your lens for ~$10-15 on eBay as well. Hoods are under-appreciated by many but study and side-by-side comparison after comparison shows better pictures with the hood in place in most instances.

The Nikon Lens brush is often imitated but they are just not as good IMHO. Another ~$10 purchase. Cleans dust from the lens, takes finger prints off with the other end, etc.

Whatever you do, don't go looking for cheap older Pentax lenses that will work on your brand new dSLR (because there are lots of us already doing that!!)

Enjoy.
I don't think a rocket blower is a must have. I had a K20d for a year, put 4000 images on it, and when I went to sell it, I did a sensor check and there were no noticeable dust spots. I was always careful changing lenses, rarely used zooms (which suck in dust), and always used the in camera sensor cleaning feature. I never needed a rocket blower for my sensor.
06-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I don't think a rocket blower is a must have. I had a K20d for a year, put 4000 images on it, and when I went to sell it, I did a sensor check and there were no noticeable dust spots. I was always careful changing lenses, rarely used zooms (which suck in dust), and always used the in camera sensor cleaning feature. I never needed a rocket blower for my sensor.
That's terrific. I, on the other hand, had a thread or fiber on my sensor within a week of owning my K-x and the only thing that dislodged it was the $10 Rocket blower. I consider it an essential. I've needed it 3 times in 10 months. Perhaps I am not as meticulous as you are, or am just sloppy, but I find that many others have listed it as an essential in threads like these here on the forums.
06-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I get dust on my K-X's weekly and a lot of it will not dislodge with the in camera sensor vibration cleaning system...

---

07-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #20
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's terrific. I, on the other hand, had a thread or fiber on my sensor within a week of owning my K-x and the only thing that dislodged it was the $10 Rocket blower. I consider it an essential. I've needed it 3 times in 10 months. Perhaps I am not as meticulous as you are, or am just sloppy, but I find that many others have listed it as an essential in threads like these here on the forums.
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I get dust on my K-X's weekly and a lot of it will not dislodge with the in camera sensor vibration cleaning system...

---
Do you guys use zoom lenses? They are the worst for putting dust on sensors. I rarely used them.
07-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you guys use zoom lenses? They are the worst for putting dust on sensors. I rarely used them.
I looked at a sample of my photos and figure I change lenses about every ten shots. And I use the DA 16-45 a lot. I think the biggest factor in sensor dust is location. Once I moved here, I didn't have to wet-clean my sensor every three months. I can't remember the last time I used a rocket blower, and I just checked - three small dust spots.
07-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #22
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I looked at a sample of my photos and figure I change lenses about every ten shots. And I use the DA 16-45 a lot. I think the biggest factor in sensor dust is location. Once I moved here, I didn't have to wet-clean my sensor every three months. I can't remember the last time I used a rocket blower, and I just checked - three small dust spots.
Wow, that's a lot of times changing the lens, and then if you have a zoom on there most of the time, that would explain sucking in a lot of dust. I primarily use primes, and usually change lenses roughly every 40 shots or so, sometimes I go 200 shots before changing. If you use mostly zooms, you would think you shouldn't have to change lenses that much. I like to use an archaic form of zoom called moving my feet back and forth.

07-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Hi.
My name is Justine. I am not quite beginner with photography. I was earlier working on old SLR's Zenith 180m zooms max. I have archivement like pictures placed in local newspapers especially reports from motorcycles festivals and music concerts. but I haven't stayed in this hobby, because I have lots of other. So time to time I am back on photo track.
I bought K-m 1,5 year ago with zoom and 18-55 lens. I am happy with it. i wasn't able to buy any better camera for years, but I wonder what best batteries I can use to not run out of energy too fast. Energizer Ultra was for longest usage and cheap. Unfortunately, I can get them easily now. I do not know if they stopped it's manufacture? Can you recommend any better and easy to buy in UK?
And another question : If there is any option for K-m to use electric lead adapter to use constant energy source. Thanks.
07-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to use an archaic form of zoom called moving my feet back and forth.
I just change primes; too lazy to move. Even on vacation I bring the 16-45, a 16 fisheye, 24/2.8, 35/2, 50 something, 85 or 90, 135 and 70-210.

QuoteOriginally posted by dragomeda Quote
...I bought K-m 1,5 year ago with zoom and 18-55 lens. I am happy with it. i wasn't able to buy any better camera for years, but I wonder what best batteries I can use to not run out of energy too fast. Energizer Ultra was for longest usage and cheap. Unfortunately, I can get them easily now. I do not know if they stopped it's manufacture? Can you recommend any better and easy to buy in UK?
And another question : If there is any option for K-m to use electric lead adapter to use constant energy source. Thanks.
The Sanyo Eneloop batteries are a good alternative. They are a hybrid rechargeable that doesn't lose charge over time like regular NiMH. You don't have to constantly recharge just to make sure the batteries are OK, and you don't have to replace them like with single-use lithiums. Several other brands have a hybrid or low-discharge battery but they all use different names. I'm not sure what is available in the UK.

Pentax offers an official AC adapter, the K-AC84, for your camera. Page 40 of the manual mentions it. It might be expensive. The K-m doesn't have an external socket for power like some other models so there are few third-party alternatives.
07-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

A mix, depends on what I am shooting and the conditions. It's why I consider a Rocket Blower an essential. Sure saves a LOT of PS time by simply cleaning the sensor Of course not everyone has that kind of money to burn and some would rather sit at PS for hours editing out the specs.