Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #1

Turn shake reduction off on monopod?

I'm running a K5, and SR is turned off for me (I use the 2-second delay, auto mirror up, great!) on a *tripod* with excellent results. But I've left it on for monopod work and get unexpectedly soft snaps... I know I know, I'll need to do some experiments and see what happens when it's off, but my next suitable outing isn't for some weeks.

Discussed a few years ago at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/31679-mon...reduction.html

Was wondering what the current consensus is (didn't seem to be one then!), thanks.

06-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If they're soft with it on, I'd turn it off.
06-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lester11 Quote
I'm running a K5, and SR is turned off for me (I use the 2-second delay, auto mirror up, great!) on a *tripod* with excellent results. But I've left it on for monopod work and get unexpectedly soft snaps...
Inspect the shots to see if there is linear movement blur, or they are just out of focus. I leave SR on when on a monopod as it still moves somewhat.
06-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's enough variation to get a better answer by testing yourself. That would give you an answer for your abilities and equipment. Bright distant highlights in low nearby ambient light should show movement easily. Anything up/down is probably SR overcompensation.

I would lean towards having SR on. The theory for having it off on a tripod is that SR looks for movement and tries to compensate. With no movement, SR overcompensates. So my theory is, a monopod will have some movement so it gives SR something to work with, therefore no overcompensation.

06-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My guess would be yes for SR because the camera isnt stabilized in the axises (axi?). The shake between left and right will be reduced. Whereas a tripod will definitely not move along the x and y axis if on a good surface.
06-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Could be that, even with a monopod and/or SR, you're still just shooting too slow.
06-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
My guess would be yes for SR because the camera isnt stabilized in the axises (axi?). The shake between left and right will be reduced. Whereas a tripod will definitely not move along the x and y axis if on a good surface.
"Axes": pronounced like "axe ease". Helps to distinguish it from the plural of tree-felling implements.

06-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Do you normally mount the lens to the monopod or mount the camera body to the monopod?
I'm sure I tend to leave SR on when mounted by the lens and off when mounting by the body.

I wonder how SR is affected during more vertical positions?