Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My software requirements for sorting through large groups of images:
  • Performance - I don't want to wait for every operation.
  • Dual monitor capability - I use a lot of screen real estate.
  • Full screen preview - Display each image full-screen or close to it.
  • Actual image viewing - The embedded JPG looks terrible full-screen. I need to see enough to decide if the image is any good.
  • Quick rating system in the full screen view - I'm mostly marking images that are so bad, I want to delete them forever, so it can be simple.
  • Basic folder operations - Creating folders and moving large groups of images into them must be easy.

With these tools I can zip through a lot of images quickly, delete the duplicates, out of focus, bad exposures or test images right away, and move them to appropriate folders. I use Bridge, which comes with Photoshop. Elements does some of it, except for the dual-monitor stuff, clunkier operation and slower performance.

07-01-2011, 04:13 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all particularly Mandi your advise sounds right down my ally.
I think organisation is the key right now, I can always sort the crud out later, will use Elements initially as I WILL get lightroom later.
Dual screen will be handy, I can use the LCD TV, I found this out he other day, will let me drap and drop to folders easier, Thanks Dave.

The Picasa recomendations help too as I was struggling with files on my netbook in particular displying RAW files and this seems just the ticket.

Keep adding to this thread as alot of good info has been posted already here and a helpfull subject to get to the results of our shooting!

Something to add: How do your online photos fit into this framework, do you convert one at a time as required or convert favs for display on net and digital photo frames, emailing and the like?
07-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As I said before, a good overall strategy is the starting point. Trying to solve problems one by one without a big picture idea of what you are doing is asking for extra work.

My web-posting versions of my pictures happen as a natural part of my regular workflow - no special extra steps required.
07-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Picasa is excellent!

Ok why haven't I used Picasa before? It is exactly the right tool for this job, something small, quick which can display DNG that can easily sort my folders!
Even on my Netbook!
Huge recommendation if you are stupid enough to be in the same situation as me

07-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #20

Thanks for the tip on Picasa, downloaded it and its excellent.