Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-5 missing K-Mount

I just purchased/received my K-5 camera (basic- just housing). I also purchased a Pentax lens that was supposed to be compatible with my model. But after some investigating, I foudn that Pentax lenses are fitted for K-mounts which apparently my new K0-5 does not have. The fixed plate on the camera is threaded and is not a K-mount. Does anyone know if tehre is an adapter available (if so where) that can convert my K-5 threaded plate to allow the use of K-mount lenses?

06-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
you didn't happen to buy this camera second hand?

sounds like someone left their M42 screwmount adapter in the camera.All K5's have the K AF mount as standard just like every pentax K mount camera for the past fourty years or so..
06-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Can you take a pic of what the mount is and post it, say with your cell phone?
06-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might help: Genuine Pentax Screwmount Lens Adapter

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #5

Original Poster

Thanks all!

I bought the camera new at BuyDig.com this month. Below is a photo. Anyone have any thoughts/knowledge of a K-Mount adapter for this?

Thanks much!!

Chris

06-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Can you post a photo showing a bit more of the camera please? Same shot but more of the ring and camera body
06-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Can you post a photo showing a bit more of the camera please? It's not looking like a K-5 to me
It looks like it is. The "5" in the bottom right corner of the shot and the attachment point for the neck strap seem about right for a shot taken at that angle.

Looks like someone left some sort of adapter on the K-mount. Regardless, the body certainly doesn't appear to be factory fresh.

Last edited by dgaies; 06-27-2011 at 09:52 AM.
06-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no adapter to convert K mount to screw mount.
I think digitalis may be right. I can't tell from the picture.
Are you sure the threaded piece in your picture isn't an adapter. Hold the lens release button in and see if you can turn that piece counter-clockwise.
06-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Ah, that's what got me, it just showed the 5, not the K. My brain has now switched into some sort of gear and realised that it's taken at an angle. In that slotted groove on the bottom looks like there's another face underneath. Which would be the K mount.

The button you need to press is the one next to the red SR on the front. Press down that black button and twist the metal mount counter clockwise. It should come off after a 45? degree twist or so. Then underneath is the K mount.

Wth some cheap screwmount thing is doing in a unit sold as new by buydig is anyone's guess.
06-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what you have is a flanged M42 to K adaptor

If you press the lens release you will be able to take the adaptor off the camera.

you can see th elens locking pin at about 11:00 in the photo (I.e. near the top of th elens mount)

When you press the lens release, this pin will retract allowing the flanged adaptor to turn counter clockwise and be able to remove it from the camera.

unfortunately, to me this implied however, that the camera is not new, but at best a demo model or more likely used
06-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what you have is a flanged M42 to K adaptor

you can see th elens locking pin at about 11:00 in the photo (I.e. near the top of th elens mount)
So in the future, we should be wary of elens mount systems much like the Ricoh mounts? Is there a sticky on the dangers of this elens locking pin?

smilie
06-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks you so much!!! Hate being a newbie but very happy that you were able to help!!! I'll taqke your advice, then go back to Buy Dig and find out what the deal is with regard to the condition.
06-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

these cheap flanged adapters also screw up the infinity focus for m42 lenses. If buydig represented this as new then i would contact them for an exchange or some form of compensation for buying a used product
06-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you bought this camera new?...I would make a complaint to the seller.

That is a flanged M42 adapter, a terrible design too I might add. The locking pin that is typically used to lock the lens on is used to hold the adapter in place*. Press down on the lens release button ( the black button near the red SR logo) and turn the ring around the lens mount anti-clockwise, and it should come out.

*the standard pentax M42 adapter doesn't do this.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-27-2011 at 11:55 PM.
06-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't throw the adapter away! If you don't want it, I'll pay for postage to mail it to me. I can always use another one.