Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

Trailing Curtain Flash Kx

So my Kx won't do Trailing Curtain Flash properly with my Metz 44af-1 that I just purchased.

At first I thought it wasn't doing P-TTL because I didn't see it flash for metering. We tested it in-store on Kr and it was fine, so we figured, oh, looks like the hotshoe is not working right. But some adjustment to the EV it seems to, plus I hear the flash zooming correctly.

No my issue is I can't get Trailing Curtain to work; this is something we also couldn't do even on the Kr. All that happens is the flash fires when the shutter first opens and that's it. I've tried M,Av, and Tv modes to see if I could get it to flash correctly but no luck.

The flash supposedly supports it - anyone had it work, or know what might be the issue?

Thanks so much,
Kyle.

06-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like it supports it:

"First and second shutter curtain synchronization (subject to camera)"

Have you tried looking to see if there is a firmware update for the flash unit?

---
06-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I tried it once and couldnt get my MEtz 48 to do it on my Kx either. At the time I was stumped but my thought is maybe it can only do it up to a certain shutter speed (I was trying 1sec), or maybe it has to be set on the flash and not on the body. Not sure....
06-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have that flash, on the sigma super you set it on the flash and not the body. Looking at the specs of the metz and this -> "First and second shutter curtain synchronization (subject to camera)", it appears that it would be controlled by the body - but again, I have only seen it controlled from the flash units. Maybe this is a specific feature for "Hotshoe Flashes" that pentax does not deploy.

This is a good question and interesting issue, maybe someone else can shed some light on this...

---

06-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
There is no update for the firmware for this particular flash unfortunately. On page 162 and 169 of the Kx manual it does say it can do it with an external flash though. I'm not really sure why it wouldn't work - the built in flash does it.