Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #1

Lens connection problems

There seems to be something wrong with my K10D

There doesn't seem to be any info getting from camera to lens. I've tried cleaning the connectors, I've tried other lenses but nothing. I've also checked all the lens on another Pentax body and they are fine. One lens (Penatx) will autofocus and is saying the aperture is changing but it actually isn't based on images. The other two lenses (Sigma) are neither auto-focusing or adjusting the aperture. This camera is between 2 and 3 years old.

06-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow that sucks!
I guess we can all accept that camera's can and do wear down

On the bright side
You now get to look forward to an UPGRADE!
06-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
Can't really afford an upgrade right now. Was expecting it to last a few more years than this.

It sucks especially as I was on a photography masterclass with a motorsports photographer today and it was fine when I checked it last night and not fine this morning.

Does anyone know if it's worth trying to get it fixed? Or is it a dead loss.
06-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is it possible that you have it out of the A position?

Just a thought

06-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yup, definitely in a position. Several times today I have had it in and out of A position as to autofocus I needed it in A (wont autofocus while in an aperture setting) and to get the right aperture I needed it out of A.

Thanks though. I'm really hoping it's something simple like that!
06-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried applying light pressure to the lens and turning it against the locking pin. Some times contacts don't always allign

Also with the MF lenses do you get focus confirmation? If so suspect the lens! maybe the contact internally for the A position is getting bad
06-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
I've tried with two AF lenses that normally auto focus fine. Neither is behaving how they normally do and all three work as normal on a K110D. I've tried gentley turning it both ways.

This isn't looking good is it.

Last edited by Schuette; 06-28-2011 at 09:56 AM.
06-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Schuette Quote
I've tried with two AF lenses that normally auto focus fine. Neither is behaving how they normally do and all three work as normal on a K110D. I've tried gentley turning it both ways.

This isn't looking good is it.
No, it isn't looking good. You say the lenses are working fine on another camera so:

When you put a lens on the camera, one of your AF lenses, does the camera ask for a Focal length?

If not, Have you tried the AF button for Auto focus? Try exercising the AF/MF switch on the camera several times and make sure the screw drive actually protrudes from the lens mount when on AF.

Do you know what aperture the camera is actually shooting at (wide open or full stopped down)? Have you tried Manual mode to see if you can get it to change apertures?

If the lens has an aperture ring, take it off of A and set it to some aperture. Then activate the Optical Preview (pg 170 in the manual). It Should activate the aperture and stop your lens down to the set value and you'll see the viewfinder darken. If nothing happens, take the lens off and look inside the lens mount at the lever that moves the arm on the lens (for activating the aperture blades). I've read many times about a spring coming loose on that arm in different cameras.

Manual focus one can live with but if you cannot control the aperture, that's an entirely different story. You may now have a nice digital spotmatic. Get yourself some M42 lenses and an adapter. Repair costs for the K10d seem to typically outweigh the replacement value.

06-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yup the camera asks for a focal length. It seems to be shooting wide open. Have tried using manual to change it, no go. With two of the lenses I get f-- on the top screen, with the other it claims to change it but doesn't based on the resulting pictures. The viewfinder isn't darkening sadly. The lever that adjusts the aperture is moving with the lens off though.

Thank you all. I give advice on another forum and appreciate it isn't easy. I was really hoping it would be a simple fix. Im not giving up on it but it does look like I'm going to have start a-saving!
06-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
This is a bit of a long shot, but you wouldn't happen to be using a teleconverter on the K10D are you? My Sigma teleconverters make my lenses do exactly what your lenses are doing.
06-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Definitely sounds like a contact problem. Try getting some actual electrical contact cleaner and swab the contacts down with that.

06-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Is the aperture control lever broken?

The aperture control lever is at the left side inside the lens mount in front of the mirror and is a tab that moves when you take a picture to stop down the lens. Try releasing the shutter with no lens mounted; if this lever does not move, there is a more serious mechanical problem, not just an electrical contact issue.

--DragonLord
06-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #13

Original Poster
DragonLord, The lever is working. Yay!

Jeff, I will try to get hold of the cleaning fluid.

Dnaseigel, I do own an old teleconveter but never use it. :0)
06-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
Inactive Account

You need something that will remove oxidation. Gold plated contacts aren't supposed to oxidize but through use enough of the plating May have scraped off of one of the pins to cause a problem. When it comes to the actual contact area, we aren't dealing with very much here.

07-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
Forum Member

Long shot, but a software reset (menu option) can't hurt anything.