Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your close up image of the guy was shot at 32mm. The noise in that image cleans up very nicely in post processing and with some other post processing steps, you can even balance out the lighting.

Maybe you need to upgrade your software. Paint Shop Pro X3 is available for $40 (on sale) and has a great Digital Camera Noise removal function.

Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 - Photo Editing Software

Tim

07-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #17

Original Poster
Sorry guys! The responses stopped showing up in my inbox.

I think we've determined probably a 50mm is the best. We went through previous photos we liked that we have taken, and most of them are closer to the end of the 55 than the 18. We keep needing to remind ourselves that we will still -have- the 18-55 for situations where we want to use it to.

It's a gulp pricewise, but I'm trying to convince myself to go with the FA 50mm 1.4. DH also found a Pentax SMCP-A 50mm 2.0 lens for very cheap... used for $47 on Amazon, with free shipping. So I'm leaning towards purchasing that... either as well, or as a starting point as I work myself up to the several hundred dollar price point.

Any tips for where to look for used lenses?

I'll check out the photo pro x3 as well. I'm impressed with the touchups with that photo. Then again- I'm surprised that one couldn't do something similiar with lightroom-- I just haven't taken the time to properly learn the program.
07-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #18

just a fyi, many believe flash is a nono for babies.
07-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Used lenses - most buy here on the Marketplace forum, on Ebay or via KEH. Almost $50 for a A50/2 is not a particularly good deal, considering that for not much more you can get an A50/1.7 which is *much* better optically. Or get an M version for even less; they aren't *that* hard to use.

Oh, and thanks, tele_pathic, for the compliments!

07-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #20

I used an M-50mm f/1.7 for about a year and liked it, for non-moving babies it works great (i.e. asleep). Then my kids got bigger as they all eventually do, and they started moving around very quickly. The FA 50mm f/1.4 seems like a lot of money (and it is) but, it's now my go-to lens for indoor activities.

I use it even for indoor sports (Tae Kwon Do) in poor light, Christmas time, evenings in low light. Keep in mind you can use the lens for the next 15 years and probably still sell it for what you paid for it. It is a good lens and commands a $300 used price when it was $250 when first introduced to the market. And besides, there really is no other lens that can do this in the price range unless you go manual focus.
07-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #21

Original Poster
Ok, that makes sense.

Is this the same lens you guys are talking about?
Pentax SMC P FA 50 mm F/1.4 Lens For Pentax | eBay

I'm off all day tomorrow so I can watch that and see what it ends up at.

I'll check marketplace again and see what I come up with. I did a quick check yesterday but didn't see any of this lens-- but it could be I'm not searching properly.

Thank you everyone for all of your help!
07-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would be the one. Be careful about paying too much for it though. Check into some completed listings to see what they are really going for. With some patience, used copies can be had for $275-$300 and sometimes, even new ones.

07-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #23

Original Poster
Yeah, she says in the Ad that it's new in original packaging... but like you said, I'll watch it and see. My husband is still balking a bit about the price, and to be honest, I am too, but it seems worth it if it means we can use our camera more. We often don't take it places right now because we know the lighting won't be good enough for us for us to get any usable shots.

07-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I have a rather large pile of lenses for my K20D. The FA50/1.4 was one of my original kit, and it's still among my most-used. My AF zooms are for shooting surprises; my manual lenses are for shooting specialties; the FA50/1.4 is my GOTTA-GET-THE-SHOT lens. If I'm in a situation with low light and/or active movement, that's my go-to. Get it; you won't be sorry.
07-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeninejessica Quote
Yeah, she says in the Ad that it's new in original packaging... but like you said, I'll watch it and see. My husband is still balking a bit about the price, and to be honest, I am too, but it seems worth it if it means we can use our camera more. We often don't take it places right now because we know the lighting won't be good enough for us for us to get any usable shots.
There's the key. It won't matter how much a lens or lenses cost if they never get used. The FA50 is a very nice lens, optically, it isn't one of my favorite when it comes to build. I just don't like the plastic feel of the lens though in reality, it's probably just as solid as most others built today. That's just My personal opinion of those types of lenses. Most disagree with me on that point.

If you can stand to go manual focus, you can save a lot of money over the cost and put all kinds of lenses in your bag for the same price. I've seen it mentioned and I'll echo it, the A (or M) 50mm f1:1.7 is THE best bang for the buck in a 50mm. Still. Even though the price has increased in the last couple months.

While f1.4 is 2 stops faster than most modern lenses (DA40 f2.8 for example), I wouldn't realistically expect to use it much at that setting. Not for action anyway. The depth of field is so narrow that most of your photo will look out of focus. In some portraits and in some still life, that's desirable but for taking photos of kidlets running around, not so much. I've never owned one but I've read, countless times, that the DA40 is among the fastest focusing primes out there. I don't worry about ultra fast focus much unless I'm chasing the hound but for chasing something that changes direction in a split second (A kid) the DA40 may also be worth considering.

07-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Note that no one ever lists the full name of a lens. The one you list would more commonly be listed simply as FA50/1.4, or somethng similar.
07-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #27

Original Poster
Yeah I noticed that... and it makes me worried to accidently buy the wrong one!

There's this one for sale in my city: Pentax P3 - Winnipeg Cameras For Sale - Kijiji Winnipeg Canada. but I'm still too new to know if that's a decent price or not.
07-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeninejessica Quote
...I'm still too new to know if that's a decent price or not.
You want to buy a M50/2 for fifty bucks? Hay, I'll sell you one for US$40. Or TWO of them for US$60! But that would be cheating, because they rarely fetch US$30 on eBay now. Really, you should be able to find a better M50/1.7 for fifty bucks. It's not that the M50/2 is bad, just that it's not as brilliant as its faster kin, and it is common as dirt.
07-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
You want to buy a M50/2 for fifty bucks? Hay, I'll sell you one for US$40. Or TWO of them for US$60! But that would be cheating, because they rarely fetch US$30 on eBay now. Really, you should be able to find a better M50/1.7 for fifty bucks. It's not that the M50/2 is bad, just that it's not as brilliant as its faster kin, and it is common as dirt.
In fairness, it's an A50/2 in the ad she linked to. Still, $50 seems a bit high for the A50/2 (and it would certainly be about twice the price of an M50/1.2). For about $50 I agree the M50/1.7 would probably be the best choice.
07-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #30

Original Poster
Thanks. Yeah... I was jsut coming to that conclusion now myself after I figured out how to search it properly. I'll keep looking! lol. The ebay 1.4 is still at $242, and she does claim it is NIP, so I'm going to keep watching that to see what happens in the next few hours.

***Edited to add, yeah It's the A, not M, but still, the review I found (I think it was this site...) showed a price average of around $33 I think.