Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2011, 04:34 AM   #1

Filters, how much to spend?

I know what filters I want I just don't know if the cheap ones ($5-$15) are perfectly acceptable or if I should pay more ($50). Is there a big difference in quality and if so does it only matter for some types of filters?

06-29-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I asked myself the same question recently and decided to spend $60 on a CPL filter after reading several sources. The most compelling, to me, for buying the best filter you can afford was this one:

LensRentals.com - Good Times with Bad Filters

I also used this review
Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com

to help me select what I hope is the best bang-for-my-buck in a filter. After looking at the reviews and the prices for the top models I selected the Super Marumi DHG Circular P.L.D http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?art=115&roz=24 - its not the very best but its tied in the rankings with the #1 filter, which costs 3 times as much.

Last edited by Docrwm; 06-29-2011 at 02:27 PM.
06-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the links! my original plan was to get a CP, UV and ND set, but now I am thinking I might just get a nice CP skip the UV and get a cheap ND set.
06-29-2011, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is a decent supplier for the Marumi filters.

Marumi DHG Circular Polarizers Multicoated, UV filters atwww.2filter.com

Tim

06-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

For cheap and readily-available lenses, don't get a filter.

For expensive lenses, get a hoya pro1-d uv filter to protect the front element.

That's my recommendation
06-29-2011, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #6

UV filters test - Description of the results and summary - Lenstip.com

Lenstip to the resuce again.

The Hoya HMC UV-0 performs equally to the more costly PRO1 Digital. BAM!
06-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
Do I need a 77mm filter for the DA 12-24mm lens or can I get a smaller one and use an adapter ring?
06-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote

Tim
Thanks for the source! +1 to you.

06-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Viperwife Quote
Do I need a 77mm filter for the DA 12-24mm lens or can I get a smaller one and use an adapter ring?
I would think on a wide angle lens, that a smaller diameter filter and adapter ring could cause vignetting to occur. Do you have a camera shop nearby that you could one out?

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 06-29-2011 at 08:01 AM.
06-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

For wide angle your best bet is to use the actual filter size. I know that on the 18-55 kit lens once you mount 6 filters the 18mm range has vignetting. Mind you 6 filter a lot of filters to add. At 12mm your angle is much wider so I would assume only 2 filters before vignetting occurs and if you stepping down your narrowing your chances of passing.
06-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote

Tim
I've made several purchases from 2Filter and they've all been smooth and hassle-free. I'm also using the Marumi Super DHG filters on most of my lenses, and they've been great so far. I especially like how Marumi doesn't charge premium prices for the thin metal filter ring.
06-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the links! my original plan was to get a CP, UV and ND set, but now I am thinking I might just get a nice CP skip the UV and get a cheap ND set.
I don't know, why you would buy cheap ND filters? The possible degradation in image quality is hardly worth the small money you may save.

For NDs it is not only poor loss of resolution, but also the introduction of a possible colour shift. For instance the Cokin filters introduce hue, which the White Balance feature of the camera usually won't get rid of.

Buy only the few filters you really need, but these then should be of high quality.

Ben
06-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #13

Original Poster
I ended up getting a Marumi DHG CP and then a $15 0.6 ND. I am just not sure how much I will use the ND before I go ahead and spend over a hundred dollars on a set. So I figure that I will experiment with the cheap one and see if I want to upgrade. Now I just have to wait for everything in the mail which can take about 2 weeks to get here to Italy.
06-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I ended up getting a Marumi DHG CP and then a $15 0.6 ND. I am just not sure how much I will use the ND before I go ahead and spend over a hundred dollars on a set. So I figure that I will experiment with the cheap one and see if I want to upgrade. Now I just have to wait for everything in the mail which can take about 2 weeks to get here to Italy.
My Marumi Super DHG CPL arrived yesterday in the mail. Very nice, low profile metal rims, black interior, and the glass WOW. I'm going to play some hooky from work to try it out this afternoon