Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

Pentax k-x.. in manual.. why can't I set the apperture?

I have a pentax kx body.. and the lens is a sigma 24-70 mm.. I can set the ISO.. the shutter speed.. the white balance.. whatever else, but it will NOT let me change the apperture in Manual mode.. Am I missing something?

06-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #2

Are you pressing the +/- Av button on the top?
06-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you set it in any other mode? Does it have an aperture ring (i didn't see one in the pics)
06-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
I tried pushing the +/- Av button at the top, but will try again.. Maybe I didn't do it right.. I think it has an aperture ring.. I will double check that when I get home.. Would have been helpful if I had brought my camera to work with me.. Just completely frustrated.. Will post again this afternoon

06-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you set the camera up for use with manual on the cameras menu? If not that is what is needed to get the camera ready for manual mode with older aperture lenses.
06-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslewis02 Quote
I tried pushing the +/- Av button at the top, but will try again.. Maybe I didn't do it right.. I think it has an aperture ring.. I will double check that when I get home.. Would have been helpful if I had brought my camera to work with me.. Just completely frustrated.. Will post again this afternoon
Is this an "A" type lens? If it is, set the aperture ring to the A position. This usually involves pressing a small button as you turn the aperture ring to get it into the A position. If not, you'll have to set the aperture manually with the aperture ring and you can only use the lens in M mode. Make sure you have set the custom menu allow aperture ring to Permitted in this case (set it there anyway to avoid future confusion when you play with some other lenses).

07-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Have lens aperture ring in "A" position, definitely. And when setting aperture on camera, you need to press +/- *while* spinning the dial.

07-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Forum Member

Here is an excellent tutorial:
Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.com

Regards!
07-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the help.. I had to do multiple things.. 1) permit the A ring to work... 2) set the buttons on the lens itself 3) THEN hit the +/- button and spin the dial.. Just need to slow down and think once in a while.. Thanks again !!
07-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What? If it's an "A" lens, you don't need to do that at all. Just leave the aperture in the "A" position. No need to set the aperture ring option, no need to turn the aperture ring.