Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If this isn't Pentax, then what mount is this?

I bought a supposedly fine lens in a wrong mount!

Is it MD?

06-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like MD to me
06-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That's C/Y, Contax-Yashica, easily modified for PK. All that 's needed is a Dremel and metal-cutting blade. I've done a couple.

EAIT: On MC/MD, the notch is on the other edge of the bayonet flag.
06-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Looks like MD to me
..that's what I think..in the beginning..

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That's C/Y, Contax-Yashica, easily modified for PK. All that 's needed is a Dremel and metal-cutting blade. I've done a couple.

..and then I see that the notch is in the different position, like you said. Is there a pic guide somewhere on this conversion?

06-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Leitax also sells a replacement mount.
06-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
RioRico, I've found your guide! It's not with pics, but seems understandable and followable. So the converted lens will act like presets?
06-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
RioRico, I've found your guide! It's not with pics, but seems understandable and followable. So the converted lens will act like presets?
... this has piqued my curiosity as to what's written on the front bevel?
(that's my obtuse way of saying what focal length and max aperture is it? )

06-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Yes. Or, more accurately, like a strictly manual-aperture lens. To some people, 'preset' means a 2-ring preset. With my simple C/Y, OM, and NI mods, the lens spring-loading keeps the iris stopped down to the aperture-ring setting. Just like the old days before M/A switches!

I am reluctant to chop-up lenses that cost a lot. The lenses I have modified are good but cost me little. They include:

C/Y:
Yashica ML 50/1.4: US$10
Yashica DSB 50/1.9: US$7

OM:
Olympus OM S 50/1.8: US$18
Olympus OM T 135/3.5: US$25

NI:
Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CFWA: US$18
Nikkor 85/2 (my first mod!): US$9

OM's may require jamming the aperture mechanism to keep the iris stopped down. I'm working on a Petri bayonet mount that need some trick for the iris spring -- I haven't mastered that yet. Exakta mounts are easy; just grind the adapter, not the lens! Minolta MD mounts probably require replacing the lens base -- I haven't done that yet either. But this is almost a cottage industry!
06-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
... this has piqued my curiosity as to what's written on the front bevel?
(that's my obtuse way of saying what focal length and max aperture is it? )
Aha.. this lens is just a few quids, un-heard-much brand 28mm F2.8 lens that i came across on the fleabay
The seller sell it saying it is for Pentax, it is Pentax all right..written on the rear lens cap!

Yes. Or, more accurately, like a strictly manual-aperture lens. To some people, 'preset' means a 2-ring preset. With my simple C/Y, OM, and NI mods, the lens spring-loading keeps the iris stopped down to the aperture-ring setting. Just like the old days before M/A switches!

I am reluctant to chop-up lenses that cost a lot. The lenses I have modified are good but cost me little. They include:

C/Y:
Yashica ML 50/1.4: US$10
Yashica DSB 50/1.9: US$7

OM:
Olympus OM S 50/1.8: US$18
Olympus OM T 135/3.5: US$25

NI:
Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CFWA: US$18
Nikkor 85/2 (my first mod!): US$9

OM's may require jamming the aperture mechanism to keep the iris stopped down. I'm working on a Petri bayonet mount that need some trick for the iris spring -- I haven't mastered that yet. Exakta mounts are easy; just grind the adapter, not the lens! Minolta MD mounts probably require replacing the lens base -- I haven't done that yet either. But this is almost a cottage industry!
Geez, you truly are adventurous!
06-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Looks like MD to me
sorry but what is an MD?

thanks
06-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Err.. Minolta mount?
06-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Minolta had two types of bayonet mounts. The first, manual focus only, was introduced with their SRT cameras and MC series of lenses, and carried over to the MD lens series. It may be called MC or MD or M/MD or MC/MD or something like that. That's what was suggested here -- close, but not close enough.

The other Minolta mount was the autofocus A mount introduced with their Maxxum line of cameras. Less than a decade ago, Sony bought Minolta's camera operations and adopted that as their Alpha mount. Minolta lives! MC/MD doesn't. Bother.

FWIW, I have a beautiful (and heavy!) Minolta MC Tele Rokkor-PF 100/2.5 lens that I hope to convert to Pentax mount. All I need is courage...
09-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #13

Can anyone help me identify this mount. I found a 28mm that I would like but want to know what I am getting into
Attached Images

09-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That Y/C has to mean Yashica/Contax. The lens on the left looks like M42 with an adapter attached - my guess is a Vivitar/Tokina 28/2.8. On the right is Canon FD or similar.
09-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #15

Your right the one of the right is a Tokina 28/2.8 there is no adapter on it. is Is it a Cannon mount. I have a Nex and I am looking for an adapter.