Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is this?

Recently I have been getting this on some photos on my K20D. These were taken with the DA55-300 lens at 300mm, and with a Promaster 100mm macro lens. I cleaned the sensor, but it is still there. Is there something else that could cause this.

55-300mm lens
Name:  Streak20110701_0000.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  99.3 KB

100mm lens:
Name:  Streak20110628_0349.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  82.8 KB

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 07-01-2011 at 07:13 PM.
07-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What did you use to clean your sensor?
07-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a hair.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
What did you use to clean your sensor?
Blew it out with a rocket blower and then used a Sensor Swab.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like a hair.
I agree looks like a small hair, doesn't show up with some shorter lenses, maybe needs magnified to show up - if that makes any sense.

07-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'd say a hair or a wet clean gone wrong
07-01-2011, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Maybe something is hanging down from the mirror or the back of the mirror when it raises up... like a hair.

"These were taken with the DA55-300 lens at 300mm with a Promaster 100mm macro lens."

From that description it sounds like you have the two lenses hooked together somehow.
07-01-2011, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Based on the way the 2 photos are captioned, I think the OP meant "These were taken with the DA55-300 lens at 300mm *and* with a Promaster 100mm macro lens." 2 different lenses, ruling out a dirty lens.

Certainly looks like hair or something thread-like. Anyone have experience with hair on the sensor? If my understanding of optics is correct a hair on the sensor would probably leave a sharper, in-focus mark. The hair in the photos looks blurry and therefore somewhere in front of the focal plane.

Doing another cleaning is probably needed but first check to see if you can't spot the dirt or whatever it is. Work in a semi-dark room so your eyes dilate. Shine a flashlight into the camera and look at the mirror, sensor, mount, and space in-between. The hair or thread might be visible.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 07-01-2011 at 05:30 PM.
07-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Maybe something is hanging down from the mirror or the back of the mirror when it raises up... like a hair.
"These were taken with the DA55-300 lens at 300mm with a Promaster 100mm macro lens."
From that description it sounds like you have the two lenses hooked together somehow.
Sorry, I edited before I posted and left some words out. I've edited again so hopefully it makes more sense. I guess it could be a hair hanging from the mirror, I didn't think mirror since it's not in the focal plane, but a hair hanging sure could be. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Based on the way the 2 photos are captioned, I think the OP meant "These were taken with the DA55-300 lens at 300mm *and* with a Promaster 100mm macro lens." 2 different lenses, ruling out a dirty lens.

Certainly looks like hair or something thread-like. Anyone have experience with hair on the sensor? If my understanding of optics is correct a hair on the sensor would probably leave a sharper, in-focus mark. The hair in the photos looks blurry and therefore somewhere in front of the focal plane.

Doing another cleaning is probably needed but first check to see if you can't spot the dirt or whatever it is. Work in a semi-dark room so your eyes dilate. Shine a flashlight into the camera and look at the mirror, sensor, mount, and space in-between. The hair or thread might be visible.
I think you are right that a hair on the sensor would be "sharper", this is pretty "shadowy". Good idea about the semi darker room. I turned of the ceiling fan to stop any air movement and used a flashlight under a brighter light. I will try that now. Thanks!
07-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Solved - Thanks to all

The low light idea helped, I could see the small hair sticking up in the areain front of the sensor. I was able to use a spec grabber and move it without contacting the sensor. I appreciate all of the responses, they were all very helpful.