Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the serial number match the one you were shown in Photos? (I always Save the photos when I buy something so I can make sure I got what I paid for).

If the lens is in original packaging, the paperwork should match the lens.

07-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The OP said the s# starts with 166 and that one starts with 142 so use caution before jumping the gun.
I think if you read my reply a few posts back you'll see that the information I used was pretty conclusive in terms of what sale the OP was referring to; I exercised appropriate caution and no guns were jumped

The fact that the serial numbers don't match doesn't take away from the fact that the linked ad I posted was indeed the sale in question. Now, as to why they don't match, that's another story...
07-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
I'm not a happy camper at this point.
I wouldn't be either, especially in light of the serial number "discrepancy".
07-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I think if you read my reply a few posts back you'll see that the information I used was pretty conclusive in terms of what sale the OP was referring to; I exercised appropriate caution and no guns were jumped

The fact that the serial numbers don't match doesn't take away from the fact that the linked ad I posted was indeed the sale in question. Now, as to why they don't match, that's another story...
I saw that, but the sale didn't definitely say who it was shipped to but that it was shipped.

07-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I saw that, but the sale didn't definitely say who it was shipped to but that it was shipped.
If you check the feedback, you'll see that on that ad/thread they left feedback for each other. That's what I based it on.
07-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #36
Site Supporter

If you check the feedback, you'll see that on that ad/thread they left feedback for each other. That's what I based it on.
The OP also sold a a/1.2 recently and the s# of it is unknown and no feedback on that transaction yet.
07-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just went over the paperwork, apparently the Lens Number might not be the Serial Number?

The OP also sold a a/1.2 recently and the s# of it is unknown and no feedback on that transaction yet.
Yeah I wish I would have kept that one a little longer in light of this! The SN of that one was 1412340.

Attached Images

07-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #38
Veteran Member

He posted his old A50/1.2 for sale after receiving the newer one he bought on 6/30/11. It sold the same day (Thursday) and was likely shipped out yesterday. I certainly wouldn't expect there to be any feedback on that sale for a few days, would you?

Yeah I wish I would have kept that one a little longer in light of this! The SN of that one was 1412340.

Last edited by dgaies; 07-02-2011 at 11:18 AM.
07-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #39
Site Supporter

I just went over the paperwork, apparently the Lens Number might not be the Serial Number?

That's why I asked where it was assembled when you said it started with 166 since I have never seen one of these begin in that range. The S# will occur on the lens whereas the other number will not. Pentax also had a catalog number which should be a subset of that other number on the paper work. The catalog number of the A series was usually a 5 digit number.

Last edited by Blue; 07-02-2011 at 02:14 PM.
07-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #40
Site Supporter

He posted his old A50/1.2 for sale after receiving the newer one he bought on 6/30/11. It sold the same day (Thursday) and was likely shipped out yesterday. I certainly wouldn't expect there to be any feedback on that sale for a few days, would you?

That's why I set, yet.

07-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #41
Veteran Member

That's why I set, yet.
For the sake of clarity, the point I was trying to make easier was that the absence of feedback (at this moment in time) wasn't relevant to the discussion because the sale had just occurred a few days ago and the buyer would not have even received the lens.

But I think we've strayed a bit off course here, which I'll take responsibility for. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that between the OP and the seller they can work the situation out in an equitable way such that everyone is as satisfied as they cane be under the circumstances.
07-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
They don't work 100% of the time but I usually use these..

Lens Ring Tool Set
As an update: I got this in and it's a bit to small to work with the outer ring. Would work like a champ if I needed to remove the front element though...
07-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Technicians use a rubber stopper with the middle carved out so that the middle of the stopper doesn't touch the lens. Micro-tools.com sells rubber stoppers as "lens ring tools" for somewhere around five bucks.
07-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Would work like a champ if I needed to remove the front element though
you really do not want to do that mate, you still have to remove the outer ring and would have to undo about 12 screws to to get the first lens cell out and Pentax always uses locktite on those screws. It far is easier to adjust the focus using the method I described above where you only have to remove the front bezel and loosen a few screws

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-28-2015 at 12:35 AM.
07-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #45
Site Supporter

for what it's worth, In Salt Lake, we have an old school camera shop named Forsters Camera that did a repair and cleaning on my A 50/1.2 for $50. You might have a repair shop near you that would tackle this for cheap.