Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
smc k, vs m series primes?

what are the advantages or disadvantages to an m series prime lens over the previous k series prime lenses, if any ? i'm not sure what the differences in the k vs m series are?

07-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no functional difference, but M series lenses are generally smaller and have different optical designs.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
ok, thanks for the chart link .
07-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning,

You can go through the two series (primes to primes, zooms to zooms) in the lens reviews, looking for like pairs of lenses - for example; K 20/f4 and M 20/f4Again using the K 20/f4 and M 20/f4 pairing, weight and size differences are striking - the K's were twice as long and twice the weight.
  • K 20/f4 - 300g 5.7cm in length
  • M 20/f4 -150g 2.95 cm in length
However the build quality of both are beyond question (the all metal build and large amounts of glass) - as in able to possibly survive intact, a direct bomb blast. This is especially the case with the K's in regards to their weight and size.

As Adam pointed out the optical design usually differs. Also, on some of the focal lengths, the K series has integrated a set of filters directly in to the lens - for example the K 15/f3.5. Another item is that in the M series, Pentax started with the star * designation. The K series had a much larger selection of focal lengths, especially in the longer focal lengths. Both the K and M went out to 2000mm, the K series had a much richer and broader selection.

07-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

As already stated, the M series is smaller than the K series, smaller both in size of lenses and lens offerings. The K series also maintains a higher standard of optical quality. Nearly all the lenses in the K series are very good, and many of them are stellar. There are some very good lenses in M series, but also some less than stellar glass, like the M 50/2, the M 35/2.8 and the M 28/2.8.

Nowadays, the M series one big advantage over K series glass: there's more lenses available at better prices.
07-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
what are the advantages or disadvantages to an m series prime lens over the previous k series prime lenses, if any ? i'm not sure what the differences in the k vs m series are?
This is a good - but not an easy question. I think there is some emotion involved in each and everyone's anwer to that.

It is also a question that pops up every now and then. Last discussion I recall was in April this year and you may find some views and information here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140062-pentax-...ne-better.html
07-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes the advantage is production numbers, availability and the effect those factors have on price. There are dozens of M135/3.5s for every K version you see.

It's better to think about a specific focal length, then look at the advantages of each series in that length. Non-collectors shouldn't have many reasons to buy all of one series over the other.

07-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
so, theoretically, the earlier k series may have slightly better optical properties, but be larger in size, is what i get from all your posts about this? i'm really starting to like the manual lenses much better than the autofocus, just more fun, plus i'm learning more about the camera this way, even though it is a digital camera. seems so right now anyway, do most professionals use manual focusing even with digital cameras?
07-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

so, theoretically, the earlier k series may have slightly better optical properties, but be larger in size, is what i get from all your posts about this? i'm really starting to like the manual lenses much better than the autofocus, just more fun, plus i'm learning more about the camera this way, even though it is a digital camera. seems so right now anyway, do most professionals use manual focusing even with digital cameras?
I only have one K, the K50/1.2, but what I gather is that K's are bigger and badder (better?) than M's (and there are more of them); M's are slightly more work but better-built than A's; F's are... well, each lens line has its goodies and baddies. See the reviews.

Yes, manual-focus lenses (MFL's) are how you LEARN photography. And manual lenses are still being made, for digital cameras. The two aren't mutually exclusive by any means. My vastly oversimplified mantra: AF zooms are for TAKING pictures, manual primes are for MAKING pictures.

What a pro uses depends rather on what a pro needs. If you're in a hurry and MUST produce pictures, use AF, especially zooms. If you have time and need a lens' particular qualities, use MFL's. And for macro work, only MF will do.
07-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

so, theoretically, the earlier k series may have slightly better optical properties, but be larger in size, is what i get from all your posts about this?
That's the general consensus, although there's debate over how much better K series lenses tend to be over their M counterparts. Generally speaking, it would seem there's not much difference between the normal range lenses and the fast wide angle primes. Resolution tests seem to show a decided advantage for many of the other lenses; however, the reliability of these tests remains a point of debate.

I have four lenses from each series, and I find that I prefer the rendering I get from my K glass. But two of my M series lenses, the M 50/1.7 and the M 20/4, are very good lenses, as are many of the M series primes. And sometimes, the smaller size of M series glass can be a real advantage. I chose the M 20/4 over the K 20/4 precisely because of the smaller size of the M series version, even though I suspect the K 20/4 is better optically.