Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What am I doing wrong?

New to the digital world and have had a Pentax K1000 for years. My wife is Nikon fan but we had all the great Pentax equipment so I bought a Kx. I love the camera and its ease of changing settings, changing the shutter speed, aperature and ISO and our old lenses work great. It takes great photos and the color is awesome. My only problem is that I simply cannot get a clear photo. They are always soft focused or simply blurry. What am I doing wrong? I tried tripods, monopods and leaning agains solid objects.

The lenses I am using are the kit lens 18-55 Pentax, 50 mm Pentax, 70-300 Tamron and a 70-210 Qauntray.

Thanks and don't be to hard on me.

Chas

07-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you show us a couple of your photos, as that would help analysis?
07-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do the soft results also include those from the 18-55 when focusing accurately and shooting at f/8?
If not, then manual focusing technique may be one of the causes. Others include slow shutter speed, too thin depth of field, unstable tripod, etc.

A few photos of this problem may shed some light, but please keep EXIF intact or give all exposure details.
07-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
a couple of pics

07-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #5

Original Poster

07-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
one more.
07-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

I may have a couple of suggestions.

(a) Do you use shake reduction (SR)? In the affirmative do make sure to wait for SR confirmation (the hand symbol) before shooting.

Simply the SR may take 1-2 s to stabilise and if you shoot before SR confirmation, the shot may look blurry.

(b) I recommend to select centre focus point rather than multple focus points. This will help to focus on the center of the picture.

Hope that the comments will help...

07-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Your 2 bird shots were shot with too slow of a shutter speed. 1/50 is far too slow for hand holding, especially out at 110mm+. I noticed you shot both those at ISO200. I'd suggest changing your camera to auto ISO with a range up to ISO3200, that way you will allow the camera to use a higher ISO so it can use a higher shutter speed. THose shots should both have been ~ISO800 & 1/200.

The last shot doesn't look that soft to me, I noticed you were out at 300mm which is the extreme end of a cheap consumer zoom. To be honest that's about as sharp as you can hope for, altohugh you could sharpen it a bit in post production.

Hope that helps
07-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it also possible you are unfamiliar with the concept of depth of field? It is not reasonable to expect the entire picture to be sharp with a dslr, or any other camera with a sensor larger than the typical p&s.
07-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Your 2 bird shots were shot with too slow of a shutter speed. 1/50 is far too slow for hand holding, especially out at 110mm+. I noticed you shot both those at ISO200. I'd suggest changing your camera to auto ISO with a range up to ISO3200, that way you will allow the camera to use a higher ISO so it can use a higher shutter speed. THose shots should both have been ~ISO800 & 1/200.

The last shot doesn't look that soft to me, I noticed you were out at 300mm which is the extreme end of a cheap consumer zoom. To be honest that's about as sharp as you can hope for, altohugh you could sharpen it a bit in post production.

Hope that helps

Im not trying to hjack or anything..... But how did you come up with the speed & ISO the OP is using.
I do see Ash asked for the EXIF intact but where did you find it?
07-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobva Quote
Im not trying to hjack or anything..... But how did you come up with the speed & ISO the OP is using.
I do see Ash asked for the EXIF intact but where did you find it?
Follow the links into flickr and choose the "actions -> view exif info" option.
07-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chas310 Quote
Thanks and don't be to hard on me.
The water lily(I think its called) looks fine. Might use a little sharpening, but that's a matter of taste really.

The two birds on the other hand were taken at 1/50s shutter which is far to slow to expect anything to look sharp and any movement at this range(300mm) on either the subject or the shooters part will result in blur.

Having said that, one solution in cases such as these, might be to use TA/V mode to keep your shutter speeds-up while you take your shots.
07-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
Inactive Account

In looking at the Rest of the photos in your flickr, you are capable of better shots than this. I think, as suggested, your problem with the two bird shots and even the flower shot, is one of exposure. The Flower shot is over exposed.

07-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
follow the links into flickr and choose the "actions -> view exif info" option.

Thank You,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Big Time
07-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you very very much. All of you have been very helpful. I will take all of the suggestions and practice some more. Maybe eventually I will get it right!