Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Spot of dust in my 55-300 lens

I've owned my Kx two lens kit for about six months now, and I've got a problem. Just today I noticed a horseshoe shaped blemish in the center of all of the photos I take at 300mm. I shined a light through the lens, and there's a big white dust spot or paint fleck or something INSIDE the lens. It's on the element directly behind the front glass. It's not just dust, it's very large and easily seen. How do I go about getting rid of it?

Charles.

07-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something stuck to the glass usually doesn't produce any visible distortion- have you also checked your focusing screen?

If it's large, it might be fungus. Could we see a photo of it?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's very unlikely any dust inside a lens would show up in photos. To me it sounds like you have something on your sensor, given your description I'd say it's a little hair or thread on it which should easliy be blown off with a rocket blower.
07-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

^^^^^ What they said.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

07-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah dust on the lens itself usually doesn't affect the image too often. Especially wide open. Have you tried doing the dust alert option on the camera to check the sensor? Usually if blemishes happen it's dirt on the sensor and not caused by the lens.

As for dust spot on the 55-300mm lens, there isn't much you can do about it. Without physically taking the lens apart and cleaning. Or replacing it. However, in most cases small dust usually do not affect images that much.

Have you tried to use a different lens to see if the blemish still occurs? Keep in mind f32 will usually make dust more pronounced.
07-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I recently had a hair in my camera in front of the sensor, thank to help here on the forum I was able to find and remove it. Might be a couple of useful ideas in this thread.
07-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
After inspecting a couple images, it's obvious my mirror lens had the same blemish. It just happened to be lost in the mirror bokeh. I put it on live view and removed the lens and yup, there was a small hair on the sensor. Rocket blower to the rescue! Thanks!

Charles.
07-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
After inspecting a couple images, it's obvious my mirror lens had the same blemish. It just happened to be lost in the mirror bokeh. I put it on live view and removed the lens and yup, there was a small hair on the sensor. Rocket blower to the rescue! Thanks!

Charles.
Good to hear, although there is a menu option called "sensor cleaning" and that flips the mirror up without activating the sensor.