Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KeithM2 Quote
Hey guys,

I'm gonna be buying a used lens (a manual fast 50) sometime soon from a local used camera dealer. What things should I be looking for in buying a used lens? Personally I'd like to try the lens out mounted on my camera but I don't really know the store's policy with that so what else can I try?

Thanks!
I have bought several used lenses, and depending on where you get them, you have different restrictions.

If you take a camera with you many stores will let you take some shots with the lens, or let you use a demo body to try it out. If it is a camera store and they don't let you try, don't pay a premium price, I have never been refused to try out a lens when purchaisng used. Many stores will even let you step outside the stoor for better lighting. Use the camera's preview and zoom most of the way in to judge sharpness.

Pawn shops, second hand stores and thrift stores generally are as seen in the store, no trials, etc, but you are allowed to inspect the lens.

Look for element separation and fungus, and big scratches on the elements. don't get too hung up about a few spec's of dust inside, that is life. mechanically look for smooth focusing and zoom collars, snappy apertures, smooth operation og the aperture ring, etc...

Dont get too humg up either on cosmetics, other than as a bargening chip (pun intended) to get a price reduction. Excessively worn lenses and a ton of chps thoug can indicate a hard past life, and may indicate internal problems so a really beat up lens may not have a long life expectancy, or even function fully.