Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter

How to upgrade firmware on a Kx

Can anyone tell me or direct me somewhere on how to upgrade firmware on my Kx? I currently have version 1.00. I think theres a 1.01 & 1.02 available? Thanks!

07-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sanox Quote
Can anyone tell me or direct me somewhere on how to upgrade firmware on my Kx? I currently have version 1.00. I think theres a 1.01 & 1.02 available? Thanks!
Go to the Pentax site. They will have site page that has the firmware down load. Download it on to your computers harddrive. Then copy it to a SD card after formatting it. The camera will read file. Just read the instructions on what to do. I did this with my K-m to get the firmware up-dated and it worked great.

Here is this link to the firmware up-dates

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-r_s.html

Last edited by stevbike; 07-04-2011 at 11:24 AM.
07-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You don't have to do each upgrade, the latest version (1.02) has all the previous upgrades. Recharge your batteries before you start. The page with the download has instructions for installation, for Windows and Macintosh.
07-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Here is this link to the firmware up-dates

Latest K-r Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
Be aware that link is KR not KX. Not sure if that makes a difference in this case.

07-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #5

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Here is the proper site for the K-x.
07-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got it, seems easy enough. Thanks everyone!
07-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A few caveats: make sure your batteries are charged. The update only takes a few minutes, but if the battery dies during the upgrade, you may have a very expensive paperweight. This is NOT covered under the warranty.

Second, make sure you put the update file in the root directory of the card, not the DCIM or any other folder. The camera only looks in the root for an update file when powering on.

The downloaded file is a self-extracting zip file. You must execute it on your PC to extract the update file first. It is that resulting update file that you put on the SD card, not the downloaded file.
07-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
A few caveats: make sure your batteries are charged. The update only takes a few minutes, but if the battery dies during the upgrade, you may have a very expensive paperweight. This is NOT covered under the warranty.

Second, make sure you put the update file in the root directory of the card, not the DCIM or any other folder. The camera only looks in the root for an update file when powering on.

The downloaded file is a self-extracting zip file. You must execute it on your PC to extract the update file first. It is that resulting update file that you put on the SD card, not the downloaded file.
And don't forget to wipe the file from the memory card when you're done or it will keep trying to update every time you turn the camera on!