Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

What I did wrong?

Newbie question and first post, I jut got my K-X a couple of month ago (18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses) steeping up from my sony P/S.

Went to Siesta Key with my tripod and among other photos I got this

Sunsets came pretty good, it least I think so, but once a put my family in the came out too dark, what I did wrong? can the photo by touch up to light up the persons? Opinions welcome

Thx a lot

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
07-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have done nothing wrong as I see it. The photo is metered to the light of the sky, and the figure in the foreground is naturally, then, going to be a bit darker.

I would suggest if you had used flash as a fill light you would have lit the figure better, but I feel, it would have detracted from being a sunset shot.

Your choice there : Sunset shot, or shot of the figure with a sunset background.

Trust this helps you a little.
07-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

You might save this still if you shot it in RAW - it looks like you could bump up the exposure ~2 EV in the Pentax Digital Camera Utility - Dynamic Range of the camera will suprise you I think - the faces should come right out.

Fist shot - metered on sky

Second shot - metered on foreground elements

Thrid shot - First shot with a 1.5EV adjustment in PDCU

Last edited by mattt; 01-07-2016 at 05:34 PM.
07-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Spot metering could have helped as well as cranking up the ev.
Siesta Key is a nice place to vacation,was there for a couple weeks in the spring a year ago.
Jake

07-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

If you were a bit closer to the family you could have used "fill" flash. Pop up flash and may want to use a lower power setting so it is more subtle.
07-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Spot metering could have helped as well as cranking up the ev.
Siesta Key is a nice place to vacation,was there for a couple weeks in the spring a year ago.
Jake
Spot metering would have helped with the faces. However, I think it would have also washed out the sky in the process causing the loss of sunset effect.

Flash fill, depending on the distance from the subject would be my opinion. However, judging from the distance in the picture I think flash fill would have only brightened it slightly probably not enough to make the picture turn out the way you probably wanted.

I think best would have been move closer and flash fill. I'm only saying move closer due to the fact that it looks like your angle is very wide
07-04-2011, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

To improve that shot then you could have used fill flash. I'd also have moved in a bit closer to fill the frame some more.

Another shot you could have tried would be to changed positions with your family and you'd get beautiful light on them, say like this.... (the O is the sun, the xXx is your family, ~~~ the water and ----- the shore line)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~O~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
------------------------------------------------------
xXx ................................. <- You
07-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

+1 on flash fill

You could also try a ND grad filter to lower the sky and maybe get the faces exposed correctly.

You can likely use some levels adjustments to recover some detail in that photo especially if it was shot in raw. Even in jpeg you could improve it.

Some fill light in Lightroom or a layer mask and levels adjustment in Photoshop.

07-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fill flash works well with people and sunsets as long as you don't over expose.
07-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter

In addition to what others have suggested Portrait mode wasn't a really good idea. You are bit far away from the family for it to be a "portrait". Did you choose portrait mode or have it on auto and it was chosen by he camera? Probably didn't make too much of a difference.
07-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fljarg Quote
Newbie question and first post, I jut got my K-X a couple of month ago (18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses) steeping up from my sony P/S.

Went to Siesta Key with my tripod and among other photos I got this

Sunsets came pretty good, it least I think so, but once a put my family in the came out too dark, what I did wrong? can the photo by touch up to light up the persons? Opinions welcome

Thx a lot
You didn't really do anything "wrong". You have a classical example of High Dynamic Range, i.e. huge differences between the bright and the dark parts of your image. In such cases you will have to expose either for the highlights or the shaddows.

BUT in a difficult situation like this, you should consider using your bracketing option of your camera and take more pictures with different Exposure Values. In the actual scene I would use plus/minus 1.0 EV or even higher. In that event you could get something like this at the "bright end" (here simulated via post-processing which is of course another option):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
07-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All of the suggestions above are on the money. There is another option, post processing. Using the various processing tools available in the better photo editing programs (layers, masks, curves, and levels), I was able to pull a lot of data from the small image you posted. If I had the full size image (Raw would be even better), your image could be worthy of printing at 5"x7" or even 8"x10" size.

Tim
07-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This is only with lightening the shadows in Photoshop Elements 8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
07-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thx really to all, its been great to read all the post and I will definitely implement the recommendations, sadly new Siesta Key sunset photos will have to wait.