Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #16

Original Poster
Another silly question....is my camera ready when the exposure counter is on "0" or "1"?

07-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gurpswu Quote
Thanks LaurenOE, that has helped me quite a bit.

I've already put some Fuji Superia iso 200 film in the ME Super, so I can't check the back out as of right now...i'm scared i might mess the film up? Am i allowed to open the back up if there is film inside?

Is the 200 film okay for shooting outdoors? I have the ASA on the ME Super set at 200.

Also..could you give me some tips on how to use the exposure compensation dial from your experience with this camera?

Sorry for the n00b questions.
Don't open a film camera while there is unexposed film in it. If you HAVE to open the camera, push the film release button on the bottom and wind the film back into the film cassette/canister. You'll know you did it right when you hear a "flap-flap". Otherwise, just shoot all your images and then, when everything is developed will you know.
07-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another silly question....is my camera ready when the exposure counter is on "0" or "1"?

07-07-2011, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Thanks LaurenOE, that has helped me quite a bit.

I've already put some Fuji Superia iso 200 film in the ME Super, so I can't check the back out as of right now...i'm scared i might mess the film up? Am i allowed to open the back up if there is film inside?
No, and it's probably not worth it. The light seals on the door might get sticky and gooey, but are probably good enough anyway for one roll.

QuoteQuote:
Is the 200 film okay for shooting outdoors? I have the ASA on the ME Super set at 200.

Also..could you give me some tips on how to use the exposure compensation dial from your experience with this camera?

Sorry for the n00b questions.
That film is what I used to use for everything, so I think it should be fine.

Exposure compensation is used when you think the camera's light meter is not going to accurately measure the light on your subject. Say your subject is a person standing with the sunset behind them. The sun is pretty bright, and the meter will be affected by that light. To keep the person from being a silhouette, use positive exposure compensation, which tells the meter that you think the scene needs more exposure. You have to anticipate how the meter will see the scene, how you want the scene to look, and use the dial to make up for the difference. The meter is more sensitive in the center.

You should be able to take a shot at 0, and fit 25 exposures on a roll, if you had no trouble getting the film loaded in the camera. If you think you had trouble, leave the 0 shot unexposed; that will give you a margin of safety.

07-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter

The exposure compensation dial is when you reasonably assume that the meter in the camera is not metering correctly given the lighting on your subject. Remember, back in the day, there weren't focus/exposure points that were in your control. The ME-Super uses "Open aperture, center weighted through the lens metering by GPD cells. Exposure range is from EV1 - EV19"

The techniques to use the exposure compensation dial will become more obvious when you get more experience.

Download the User manual from the Pentax website - although it's a poor scan that must have been done before scanning became common place.
07-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Wow...I am *seriously* going down memory lane in this thread. No one has asked me these questions in decades!
07-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter

I went and found my ME Super OEM manual and scanned the two pages that talk about exposure compensation. Enjoy.

07-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #23

If you are interested, I can mail out a copy of ME Super manual in the flesh. I bought a used ME-Super for some of the lenses it had. The manual came with it. E-mail me at stevbike@hotmail.com to tell me if you are interested or not. Place the subject line, "ME-Super Manual".

07-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service <--- There's a link for the manual. Enjoy your new camera, it's a nice one....
08-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone.

I got my first roll of film developed just yesterday. I think they are decent for my first time. Here are some below.
Name:  004.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  110.9 KB

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 2163
Size:  100.9 KB
08-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #26
Site Supporter

It's nice to see some images coming from an ME Sup'.
Memory lane!
08-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #27

Original Poster
Any tips or advice? I know there are only 3 pictures...but?