Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

Just bought a Pentax ME Super + 2 lenses What kind of settings could i use each in?

Hi, I just bought the following bundle on ebay.

Pentax ME Super & 2 lenses 28mm and zoom on eBay (end time 04-Jul-11 19:36:45 BST)

It comes with 2 lenses.

I know nothing about photography although i can take pretty decent pictures on my Dads (probably mediocre) DSLR, the Sony A380.

I definitely enjoy taking photos although I am a n00b as of now. I think i've made an impulse buy, and should have done more research.

I know nothing about the lenses..can someone school me on them a little bit?

Would really appreciate it...and any tips on getting to know my Pentax ...this will be my first camera that I've actually bought myself and i'm glad it's not digital.

Thanks

07-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ME-Super is a great little camera. Either get a book on basic photography or look on-line for picture taking basics. The system you have bought gives you all the basics needed to get you going. Although film is great, once you start getting going, it will get costly if you start doing a lot of picture taking. This is why digital imaging has taken off the way it has.

As for subject matter, take pictures of things that interest you. Start looking at others work to get ideas of where to start. Experiment with different shutter speed, aperture settings to see what you get. This will help determine what type of photo looks you can get. And ask lots of questions on anything that you may be having problems with by posting pictures on this site.

Whether you stay with film or decide to go digital, enjoy the world of photograghy. It is a hobby that can last a life time.
07-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since the ME-Super is a very old camera, you might want to take it in to check the mirror foam and the light seals. They tend to go bad unless they have been replaced recently. The ME-Super is an aperature priority camera. You set the aperature manually and the shutter speed is set automatically. Of course you also have manual mode. The ME-Super was the camera right before the Super Program / Program Plus when the "A" series of lenses and cameras came into existence. I still have my ME-Sup'.
07-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The Pentax Website still have the old user manuals, and of course, eBay.

As for lenses for the ME-Super, you will need lenses with an aperature ring which are everything from the K/M to the "A". The "A" setting is not used on the ME-Super since the ME-Super doesn't have the contacts or the ability to change the aperature automatically.

You can use the old cable-type of shutter release and the MEII power winder for automatic film advance.

The little pin rollers that catch the film take up are a little tricky to get used to.

Lots of old memories with the ME-Super!

07-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Oh, and if you are new to photography, I recommend this book, as it is a contemporary for the ME-Super as it went out of print in the 80's but is still available online and sometimes on eBay.

"The Book of Color Photography"
Adrian Bailey and Adrian Holloway
ISBN - 0-394-72467-4
07-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Oh, and if you are new to photography, I recommend this book, as it is a contemporary for the ME-Super as it went out of print in the 80's but is still available online and sometimes on eBay.

"The Book of Color Photography"
Adrian Bailey and Adrian Holloway
ISBN - 0-394-72467-4

Thanks for the replies so far

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Pentax ME Super Book of Photography

Do you think this would be any good?

Also, what kind of pictures are those lenses that I've bought best suited for?
One is a Sunactinon 28mm 1/2.8 and the 2nd lens is a Vivitar 70-210mm 1/4.5.

What type of film should I use if i want black and white photos...and what type for colour? I am not going to be developing any photos myself but would probably take them to Jessops or something similiar.
07-05-2011, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Yo uwon't be able to gte B&W processed on the high street unless you use 1 of 3 films (which are all virtually identical): Ilford XP2 Super, Kodak BW400CN and Fuji Neopan 400CN. As for colour film, anything that isn't slide/transparency/reversal/positive film will be fine. As to which one you want, depends what you're going to shoot, theres a vast amount of colour films to choose from each with different characteristics. To get you started whatevers cheapest will do.
07-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gurpswu Quote

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Pentax ME Super Book of Photography

Do you think this would be any good?

What type of film should I use if i want black and white photos...and what type for colour? I am not going to be developing any photos myself but would probably take them to Jessops or something similiar.
The book probably couldn't hurt but you can get an actual (PDF) manual for the camera Here.

Pentax Manuals

As to the lenses, the 28mm is well suited for landscapes, some city photography, closeups, ect. The zoom, at 70mm might be good for portraits, animal photos, and things of that nature. At the 210 end you might be able to catch some birds. If I'm not mistaken, that lens also has some closeup capability where you may be able to get some neat bug photos.

All manual lenses work basically the same way so once you get use to how the camera itself operates, you'll be able to See what the lenses are good for.

Your film question has already been answered.

Enjoy your new stuff and welcome to the Pentax way of thinking.

07-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

Congrats on getting an ME Super. I have used mine for years and love it. I used to have a multitude of lenses but I have since found that my favourite is a 28mm, so I use nothing else. I shoot with Kodak Portra 400NC, and have it developed and scanned in by a local drugstore. They do a pretty good job.

At one point I had the winder installed, but I removed that because it is lighter to travel without it. I have also replaced the light seals myself using one of the kits. It is very easy to do if you take your time and are thorough. Another fix I had to do was, lube the aperture ring on the body, it was jamming, but a little drop of silicone lubricant and it is like new.

I am sure you will get plenty of use from the ME. It is a great camera to learn on.
07-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Excellent choice of camera, we have had one since new. Recently bought a K-5 and the nice things is that all the lenses we have work with the new digital (allbeit most of these are manual). I've also been getting used prime lenses on Ebay for a snip of the cost of new ones. The nice thing about film is that you need to think about each shot. You will learn so much more this way. When printing, it is possible to get a disc of the images for little extra cost. Happy snapping.
07-06-2011, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

The 28mm lens is considered a wide-angle on 35mm film. That is, it would be used when a relatively wide field of view is needed. This can be either outside, when shooting vast landscapes, or inside, in close quarters, when you can't back far enough away from your subject to get everything/everybody into the frame.

The other lens is a zoom lens that goes from a short telephoto to a medium telephoto. This would be used when you can't get close enough to your subject to fill the frame.

What that bundle is lacking is a "normal" lens. On 35mm film, a lens of about 50mm is considered to be normal. That is, it more or less duplicates the angle of view of the central portion of the image cast by the human eye. A print made with a normal lens will look about the same as you remember the scene. A wide angle lens will be noticeably wider than your eye sees, while a telephoto shot will have a somewhat compressed feel to it.

The Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/2 lens was the lens most often packaged with the ME Super, when it was new. These are decent lenses and are very affordable on ebay. I've seen them go for $10 plus shipping.
07-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Since the ME-Super is a very old camera, you might want to take it in to check the mirror foam and the light seals. They tend to go bad unless they have been replaced recently. The ME-Super is an aperature priority camera. You set the aperature manually and the shutter speed is set automatically. Of course you also have manual mode. The ME-Super was the camera right before the Super Program / Program Plus when the "A" series of lenses and cameras came into existence. I still have my ME-Sup'.
How do i check the mirror foam and light seals myself? Where are they located?
07-07-2011, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter

How do i check the mirror foam and light seals myself? Where are they located?
Ok, the light seals and mirror foam are as follows;

My ME Super, the first time it has been taken out and opened in a few years! Just for this thread!

The mirror foam. As you can see, mine would need some replacement

The back of the camera. Notice the foam in the channel that goes around the light-box or body of the camera.

I highlighted it in red

The door where it latches, sometimes can have the paint chipped of (like mine) that can affect the sealing and light entering the camera.

To replace the foam and get the goo off, you can use various techniques. I like to use de-natured alcohol and q-tips along with other non-marring plastic bits to scrape the goo off.

It's been years since I used my ME - Super, so it will remain in the condition you see it.
07-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks LaurenOE, that has helped me quite a bit.

I've already put some Fuji Superia iso 200 film in the ME Super, so I can't check the back out as of right now...i'm scared i might mess the film up? Am i allowed to open the back up if there is film inside?

Is the 200 film okay for shooting outdoors? I have the ASA on the ME Super set at 200.

Also..could you give me some tips on how to use the exposure compensation dial from your experience with this camera?

Sorry for the n00b questions.
07-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The 28mm lens is considered a wide-angle on 35mm film. That is, it would be used when a relatively wide field of view is needed. This can be either outside, when shooting vast landscapes, or inside, in close quarters, when you can't back far enough away from your subject to get everything/everybody into the frame.

The other lens is a zoom lens that goes from a short telephoto to a medium telephoto. This would be used when you can't get close enough to your subject to fill the frame.

What that bundle is lacking is a "normal" lens. On 35mm film, a lens of about 50mm is considered to be normal. That is, it more or less duplicates the angle of view of the central portion of the image cast by the human eye. A print made with a normal lens will look about the same as you remember the scene. A wide angle lens will be noticeably wider than your eye sees, while a telephoto shot will have a somewhat compressed feel to it.

The Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/2 lens was the lens most often packaged with the ME Super, when it was new. These are decent lenses and are very affordable on ebay. I've seen them go for $10 plus shipping.
Thanks a lot for the break down...i'll look into that pentax smc-m 50mm lens. There is one in an auction on ebay...with 3 hours left going for about 15 + delivery.

Last edited by gurpswu; 07-07-2011 at 08:30 AM.