Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What did I do wrong?

Pretty new to digital, have had my K-5 for about a month now.
Last night had it set up taking pics on the timer.
Turned the camera off and went to bed.
This morning I grabbed it to shoot and everything seemed fine, till i got home to check them out.
After putting the memory card into the computer, the file for the forth had pics, but the file for the fifth was empty,nothing of what I had shot had been saved. (Bummer really as a nice heron was in bright sun today,,,urgh)

So I put the card in the camera and took a few quick pics, they were there to review untill I turned the camera off and they disappeared.
So after emptying the card onto the computer I took a few more and these have been saved.

Any thoughts...should I have started a new folder this morning?

07-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

sounds like a memory card problem, did you try using a different card?
07-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will typically empty and format (in the computer) the card about once every 1 or 2 months. I don't know if that helps me but I don't think it hurts. It just takes a long time as I do a Full format, not just a wipe clean type of format.

07-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Failure to save

My new K-5 was outfitted with a newly K-5-formatted SDHC card and I had shot a few dozen images which looked great. Then it sat for a month or so while I mainly worked. (A travesty, I know.)

I shot a bunch of images at my wife's 50th birthday. They looked fine on the monitor. When I went to download them the next day, none had been saved. I had never heard of this problem until seeing this thread.

Is there any hope of salvaging the images???

07-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vodoc Quote
My new K-5 was outfitted with a newly K-5-formatted SDHC card and I had shot a few dozen images which looked great. Then it sat for a month or so while I mainly worked. (A travesty, I know.)

I shot a bunch of images at my wife's 50th birthday. They looked fine on the monitor. When I went to download them the next day, none had been saved. I had never heard of this problem until seeing this thread.

Is there any hope of salvaging the images???
Do a Google search for photo recovery software. If you haven't shot over them, they may still be available. I use Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery. It's $39 US. There are others that people have had success with too. They all seem to be about the same price.

It's not a beautiful application but I've saved both my and a couple of friend's photos. Works on both Mac and PCs. You can download it and run it to see if it recognizes the images on your card. If it does, then pay the shareware fee and you can use it to recover your images. It also works on flash drives and hard drives. It's very slow but thorough.
07-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dannyial Quote
Pretty new to digital, have had my K-5 for about a month now.
Last night had it set up taking pics on the timer.
Turned the camera off and went to bed.
This morning I grabbed it to shoot and everything seemed fine, till i got home to check them out.
After putting the memory card into the computer, the file for the forth had pics, but the file for the fifth was empty,nothing of what I had shot had been saved. (Bummer really as a nice heron was in bright sun today,,,urgh)

So I put the card in the camera and took a few quick pics, they were there to review untill I turned the camera off and they disappeared.
So after emptying the card onto the computer I took a few more and these have been saved.

Any thoughts...should I have started a new folder this morning?
When you empty your card, it's best to reformat it in the camera. It is sometimes also possible to recover photos from a damaged card with the right software, see my other post. You can't do that if you've reused the card. For that reason, it's nice to have more than one.