Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

I own a Pentax ME Super and love it but

The focal plane shutter is sticking and when I open the back the two shutters, both have some sort of probably goo that is making it stick. I have heard these cameras rubber light seal breaks down and turns into goo, I also taking the lense off the front of the camera and the mirroor rubber damper is very sticky. I would guess that could be hanging up the mirror also . I guess it wouldn't make any sense to try to clean this I wouldn't think. because if these parts are bad they will just goo everything up again anyway. I live in Minneapolis , is there anyplace I could get a bid upfront to have this fixed .I want to know how much it will cost before I send it off.

07-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can buy kits and do it yourself. It isn't rocket science and if you're going to play with this older stuff (nothing wrong with that), it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn how to DIY for some of the more simple things. This all assumes, the meter in your camera is working.

If the shutters are actually stuck due to 'goo', you will want to have the camera cleaned. Someone will likely be along shortly to recommend Eric (I don't know his email off hand) to do it for you.

Edit:

Found it

http://pentaxs.com/

Last edited by JeffJS; 07-05-2011 at 10:52 PM.
07-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbander Quote
The focal plane shutter is sticking and when I open the back the two shutters, both have some sort of probably goo that is making it stick. I have heard these cameras rubber light seal breaks down and turns into goo, I also taking the lense off the front of the camera and the mirroor rubber damper is very sticky. I would guess that could be hanging up the mirror also . I guess it wouldn't make any sense to try to clean this I wouldn't think. because if these parts are bad they will just goo everything up again anyway. I live in Minneapolis , is there anyplace I could get a bid upfront to have this fixed .I want to know how much it will cost before I send it off.
I've found the parts I need to fix it myself and I think I would like to give it a try. Is there any place to get direction to change the light seals, the mirror damper and clean the shutters. I've found service manuals for the Pentax ME Super but they tell you how to take the whole thing apart and I only want to take apart the things needed to fix just my problems. Any suggestions
07-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You don't have take anything apart to do the light seals. Here is a PDF for the installation of the interslice kits. I highly recommend the interslice kits on eBay. They are very affordable and work perfect. I did mine in ~30 minutes on my ME Super.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Pentax_ME.pdf

07-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
^^^ +1 for the interslice kit. Fits perfectly and I believe it to be higher quality than the OEM seals. Just take your time and clean the old stuff off really well.
07-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Get the Interslice kits but before that make sure you buy yourself some Naptha or Goo-gone. You will need it first to clean and get all the goo off the mirror and whatever you need to clean.
Rubbing alcohol or Isoprophyl alcohol just won't be enough and Naptha or Goo-gone does a very good job of this. You will also need it for the Interslice kit.
I replaced the seals on my Pentax MX this way.