Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K20d HSM lens problem

Has anybody experience this? My HSM lens (Sigma 17-70) stop working in my K20d. I can used it in manual mode and I can trigger the shutter even when the subject is out of focus, but whenever I use the built in flash, I can't release the shutter,

One more thing I tried the live view with this lens and it vibrates something like you acvivate the sensor cleaning but it does not stop unless you disengage live view.
Built in motor is fine with my other non HSM lens (Sigma 24-135)

Would accidental short of the AF pins could do all of these? I don't have any other HSM lens to try, so I don't know if its a lens or a camera issue.

07-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sa_lontoc Quote
One more thing I tried the live view with this lens and it vibrates something like you acvivate the sensor cleaning but it does not stop unless you disengage live view.
This sounds like shake reduction in action to me- it was a bit louder on the older bodies.

Does the flash work with other lenses?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Flash work with other lens. I don't know actually what happen to the lens. I have not used the lens since I bought the 24-135 from one of the forum member here, but the 17-70 is working fine when I put it in my camera bag 3 weeks ago. I just noticed my 17-70 not working when I tried it last July 4 to I can get a wider angle but it did not work.
07-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #4

maybe it's something similar to when a Pentax SDM lens fails? And I could've sworn I've seen a thread on here about live view vibrations...I think they had to send it to Pentax to get it fixed, but I am not 100% sure though.

07-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
It only happens with my HSM lens, Is my amera SDM /HSM circuit faulty or it is my lens that causing problem?
07-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
Does anybody knows what store sells Pentax in Atlanta or Orlando that I can try my lens or the camera body.
07-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anybody knows what store sells Pentax in Atlanta or Orlando that I can try my lens or the camera body.
None that I know of in Atlanta except KEH (they do have a sales counter but no showroom).
07-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
I brought the lens to Camera Repair Japan (Authorized Sigma repair center), I'm still waiting for their call for estimate cost of repair, they say it could be the circuit board driving the HSM.

07-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anybody experience this? My HSM lens (Sigma 17-70) stop working in my K20d. I can used it in manual mode and I can trigger the shutter even when the subject is out of focus, but whenever I use the built in flash, I can't release the shutter,

Built in motor is fine with my other non HSM lens (Sigma 24-135)

Would accidental short of the AF pins could do all of these? I don't have any other HSM lens to try, so I don't know if its a lens or a camera issue.
YES, YES and YES!!! I had my motors replaced on my so little to not used 50-135 and 16-50 lenses. The day before my shoot for VOGUE, I tested the lenses on my K20D camera bodies (3) and they did not work on any of them. I mean the motors were just replaced and returned to me and NEVER used at all. I can switch to manual mode and the light and beep confirmation works. Switch back to AF and the shutter cannot fire!!! That reminds me, I should test them on my Kx to see if they work. I have to call Pentax France again for the 10th time.

PS the same applies to the Pentax K10D of which I have one remaining.
07-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
Update: Estimate cost of repair for AF mechanism and other parts $188,,,Ouch!!!!
08-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #11

Original Poster
Another update, lens is ok, my camera is the one with HSM/SDM circuit problem
CRJ refunded the repair cost for the lens.

Camera is on sale now, SDM does not work, but built in motor work perfectly

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/155211-sale-k...bg-2-grip.html