Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I made a mistake! How to clean my sensor??

OK, so I bought a blower for my camera. A cheap non rocket brand one. BIG mistake. After attacking my camera with it I discovered it has made things worse. It actually emits dust/residue!! How can I fix this? what sensor cleaning method do you recommend?

I can see a decent amount of must on the mirror but none on the sensor. However have read that the mirror dust is not likely to appear on the images therefore it must be on the sensor?? I'm not sure about a brush as it may be more than just light dust. ie. it has been blasted on by the blower

Thanks

07-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by camo Quote
OK, so I bought a blower for my camera. A cheap non rocket brand one. BIG mistake. After attacking my camera with it I discovered it has made things worse. It actually emits dust/residue!! How can I fix this? what sensor cleaning method do you recommend?

I can see a decent amount of must on the mirror but none on the sensor. However have read that the mirror dust is not likely to appear on the images therefore it must be on the sensor?? I'm not sure about a brush as it may be more than just light dust. ie. it has been blasted on by the blower

Thanks
Step 1 is a good blower. The Rocket blower is dependable.
Step 2 is the Pentax Lollipop (or similar). It's sticky rubber that you GENTLY dab your sensor then a release paper, sensor, release paper, again, again, until you've dabbed the entire sensor.
Step 3 is a wet swab with proper tools.
(Don't try to save .02 cents on any of the above products. After all, it is the heart of your camera you're trying to clean)
Step 4 (if it is really bad) is professional cleaning.

AND, make sure that you've turned on the dust removal on start up function in your camera's menu.
07-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My first resort is the blower - usually only partially successful.

My second resort is the "Arctic Butterfly" brush by "Visible Dust" - usually 100% successful.

My third and final resort (only used once in 12 months) - is the Visible Dust cleaning formula with a Visible Dust swab.

Other people will have their methods including a squirt of dry gas, but mine works for me 100% and I insist on a clean sensor so that I am religious about it.
07-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

My methods are described in here.

07-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
THanks a lot. I shall check out these methods. Has anyone used SENSORKLEAR made by lenspen. It seems it has good reviews

EDIT - Has anyone used the DUST-AID wet and dry kit?

Last edited by camo; 07-08-2011 at 12:19 AM.
07-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by camo Quote
THanks a lot. I shall check out these methods. Has anyone used SENSORKLEAR made by lenspen. It seems it has good reviews
Yes I have, it is excellent if what you want to achieve is to cover your sensor with carbon dust.
07-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Yes I have, it is excellent if what you want to achieve is to cover your sensor with carbon dust.
I learnt that the hard way as well... But at least it was nice enough to deposit it entirely in one corner for me...

07-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
I learnt that the hard way as well... But at least it was nice enough to deposit it entirely in one corner for me...
You got ripped off, I must have got the "premium" version
07-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Never had a problem with lenspen here, used fairly regularly as I change lenses all the time and with m4/3 the sensor is right in the lens mount and permanently exposed. Only niggle I have with it is tha tthe triangular corners tend to get caught in something in the corners of the sensor mount, I'm faily sure I'll break a chunk off in there one day but Ican categorically say my sensor is perfectly spot free without having to resort to anything other than the pen.