Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Spotmatic Lenses

Hi everyone,

Few months ago, i received my dad's old Pentax Spotmatic and i have been going around and have taken lots of photos and slowly getting into photography now

Too take wider range of photos, ive been looking for zoom lenses for my camera and i wasnt sure which lenses to get.

Can you please help me out with this problem? is there any zoom lenses available for pentax spotmatic in first place?

please help me out!

Thank you very much!

07-07-2011, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are tons of M42 lenses out there. Hit the lens database and go shopping on Ebay, at KEH etc.

07-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
There are tons of M42 lenses out there. Hit the lens database and go shopping on Ebay, at KEH etc.

thank you so much!

sorry to bother you again but are there M42 lenses that can zoom?

i'm so new to this sorry
07-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, many many zooms are available for your Spotty. What you need are M42 screwmount lenses. These are quite common (and often pretty cheap) from eBay and other used-lens sources. Here are the four made by Pentax. Some decent M42 zooms were sold by (and labeled as) Vivitar and Sears, and made by Tokina, Kiron (Kino), and others. My favorites are:

* Vivitar (Kiron) Series-1 70-200/3.5, a highly-regarded classic, still very cheap
* Sears (Tokina) 55-135/3.5, my favorite portraiture zoom, and extremely cheap
* Sears (Samyang) 80-200/4, a good performer, lightweight, also very very cheap

Other Vivitar Series-1 zooms, and Soligor C/D zooms, are very well-liked. NOTE: Zooms with a floating maximum aperture, indicated as f/3.5-4.5 or f/2.8-4, are usually thought to be not quite as good as those with a fixed maximul aperture, like the f/3.5 and f/4 zooms I mentioned above. So even though my Tokina 35-135/3.5-4.5 is OK, it just doesn't match the Sears-Tokina 55-135/3.5.

07-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, many many zooms are available for your Spotty. What you need are M42 screwmount lenses. These are quite common (and often pretty cheap) from eBay and other used-lens sources. Here are the four made by Pentax. Some decent M42 zooms were sold by (and labeled as) Vivitar and Sears, and made by Tokina, Kiron (Kino), and others. My favorites are:

* Vivitar (Kiron) Series-1 70-200/3.5, a highly-regarded classic, still very cheap
* Sears (Tokina) 55-135/3.5, my favorite portraiture zoom, and extremely cheap
* Sears (Samyang) 80-200/4, a good performer, lightweight, also very very cheap

Other Vivitar Series-1 zooms, and Soligor C/D zooms, are very well-liked. NOTE: Zooms with a floating maximum aperture, indicated as f/3.5-4.5 or f/2.8-4, are usually thought to be not quite as good as those with a fixed maximul aperture, like the f/3.5 and f/4 zooms I mentioned above. So even though my Tokina 35-135/3.5-4.5 is OK, it just doesn't match the Sears-Tokina 55-135/3.5.
thank you very much ! very helpful!
07-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Meowoof Quote
thank you so much!

sorry to bother you again but are there M42 lenses that can zoom?

i'm so new to this sorry
There are three Takumars - made by Asahi Optical Co., the same peope who made the Spotmatic:

Pentax M42 Screwmount Zoom Lense Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Reviews & Comprehensive Database

There are several models of Spotmatic, and the newer models have a little bit more functionality with some newer M42 mount lenses.