Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
YES!!! Same here... I check all my manual lenses to see which direction gives me the sharpest image and from infinity (far) is usually the best and always just when the in focus indicator comes on...
Kinda similar myself - this was way back on post #2... but with the example i found its actually backwards - at least for close subjects...

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
The next thing to do then, is to work out which side of the MF confirmation is actually focused I found that my K20D-50/1.7 Combo focuses correctly coming from near-to-far... but if I go far-to-near I end up back-focused a bit if I just rely on the confirmation blip. This should be simple to determine - just take a few shots of exactly the same scene noting if you focused near-to-far or far-to-near. You may find as well, that similar to mine, the 'confirmed' MF area is quite wide - I try to get the point where it *just* turns on.

07-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have pretty much only used manual focus. The answer is YES! It gets so easy over time that you will not believe you once had trouble with it. I don't like using autofocus at all, although I understand that there are some situations in which it is beneficial.

JeffJS, those are some great images. Especially the first one. Can you describe how you achieved those colors? They are beautifully.
07-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the instructions, JeffJS. I've tried 2 times now and both times I got a message about an invalid security token (whatever that is) and that the most lilkely reason for failure to upload was session timeout. So I don't anticipate any of my out of focus pics being up here any time soon. I'll have to look into possible reasons for upload failure sometime when I have more time to fool with such things. Thanks just the same. Jim
07-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
Thanks for the instructions, JeffJS. I've tried 2 times now and both times I got a message about an invalid security token (whatever that is) and that the most lilkely reason for failure to upload was session timeout. So I don't anticipate any of my out of focus pics being up here any time soon. I'll have to look into possible reasons for upload failure sometime when I have more time to fool with such things. Thanks just the same. Jim
Your files are too big. You want to keep them at 1Mb or less.

07-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote

JeffJS, those are some great images. Especially the first one. Can you describe how you achieved those colors? They are beautifully.
Thank you. For the most part, the colors are there already. A little bit of pushing sliders around for brightness, contrast, and saturation until it pops (or seems to). Glad you like them.

07-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #51
Veteran Member

When I first got my K-X, I mostly used AF, but wasn't really happy with it. I started practicing with MF and before I knew it, I was happy with 95% of the shots I took. I rarely use AF anymore.
07-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Didn't have a problem with manual focus back when cameras were made to use manual focus.With my K-X which wasn't do have a problem and must rely on the focus indicator.If Pentax ever makes a camera with a good viewfinder I will buy one.
Jake
07-11-2011, 03:29 AM   #53
Inactive Account

Original Poster
How do I make my files less than 1MB? Should I be uploading them one pic at a time, rather than all of them at once? I don't know why my files would be any bigger than anyone else's, unless it takes more space for out of focus pics.

07-11-2011, 05:05 AM   #54
Veteran Member

How do I make my files less than 1MB? Should I be uploading them one pic at a time, rather than all of them at once? I don't know why my files would be any bigger than anyone else's, unless it takes more space for out of focus pics.
You can use a free utility such as GIMP - gimp.org to resize the images to make them smaller.

Jpegs coming straight out of your Kx are going to be at least 2MB if not more. I've been shooting only RAW images for a while with my K10D and the images are right at 16MB.

You can also upload them to Flikr, and then post them using the http link code that is available under the "share" option in Flikr. That way is much easier then uploading them to here if you ask me. I usually use the medium size share code when posting pictures here.

That way you don't even have to worry about resizing them before uploading.
07-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
You can use a free utility such as GIMP - gimp.org to resize the images to make them smaller.

Jpegs coming straight out of your Kx are going to be at least 2MB if not more. I've been shooting only RAW images for a while with my K10D and the images are right at 16MB.

You can also upload them to Flikr, and then post them using the http link code that is available under the "share" option in Flikr. That way is much easier then uploading them to here if you ask me. I usually use the medium size share code when posting pictures here.

That way you don't even have to worry about resizing them before uploading.
This will work for photo sharing too.

Cyclone3d gave you one way. I use Photoshop and when I want to upload an image to Albums, I do an Image Size. Make the image 72ppi and set the longest side to 1023 pixels. That usually leaves me with a file that is about 1/2 Mb (500kb) and leaves the Exif in tact when I upload it. Most softwares will have a 'save for web' or 'save for email' option that will also resize. Be sure not to overwrite your original files with this but it will also get your photos down to size. If you want to show a Full size photo for some reason, then something like Flickr is your best bet. Pro accounts ($24 per year) have unlimited upload space and no restrictions on photo sizes. You can also upload videos if you choose to do so (but I rarely do). Free accounts I believe are limited to viewing the last 200 uploads (but that may have changed).

From what I understand, the forum software has a time limit on uploading photos that, once exceeded, will fail the upload giving the message you received.

07-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #56
Pentaxian

GIMP is pretty serious overkill. You do need some sort of basic phot editing program, though. Doesn't the software that comes with the camera do this? If not, Picasa and Irfanview are two popular free programs that are a lot friendlier than the GIMP. But indeed, if you ever get into really heavy duty photo editing, and don't want to spend the bucks on Photoshop or whatever, the GIMP is a good choice.
07-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, I'm a jpeg picasa user. I know, not very sophisticated, but my 55 yrs. coupled with a tad of technophobia arent helping. But you're telling me that somewhere on picasa it will have an option that will let me cut these images to 1mb? I'll look for it and maybe I'll get these dirty rotten blurry images up there after all
07-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Ok, I'm a jpeg picasa user. I know, not very sophisticated, but my 55 yrs. coupled with a tad of technophobia arent helping. But you're telling me that somewhere on picasa it will have an option that will let me cut these images to 1mb? I'll look for it and maybe I'll get these dirty rotten blurry images up there after all
You need to use the "Export" option > Resize and choose 1024 pixels > export, I would pick "Desktop" where you should be able to find file... upload to Pentax > link in thread...

Easier would be Picasa Albums > and link direct from there...
07-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #59
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK, let's give this a try. Hopefully what will be included are clear pictures of signs and a gravestone and my pathetic attempts at the mimosa tree and one other. Believe it or not, these are the 2 best mimosa attempts out of 6.
Attached Images

07-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Louisa St appears ok - but I can't see the Mimosa Tree pics...