Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Remote control and exposure bracketing

I am playing with my new Tamron 90 mm macro lens with my Kx. Lots still to learn! I have a Pentax remote and wondered whether it can be used when using the exposure bracketing function. It seems they are on the same "control" so that only one option can be used at a time (continuous, self timer, remote and exposure bracketing). Hoping someone can help.

07-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evening, I am guessing that you have the Kx or Kr. If so, then yes, you are limited to the IR remote, and by activating the IR option you effectively are unable to do bracketing. Now if the Kr/Kx had a wired remote, you would probably be able to select bracketing and just plug in the remote. That is probably the reason for only the IR.

On the K20, K7, K5 you are able to select these capabilities separately and yes do bracketing (its own button) with the remote (wired plugged in).

07-09-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Evening, I am guessing that you have the Kx or Kr. If so, then yes, you are limited to the IR remote, and by activating the IR option you effectively are unable to do bracketing. Now if the Kr/Kx had a wired remote, you would probably be able to select bracketing and just plug in the remote. That is probably the reason for only the IR.

On the K20, K7, K5 you are able to select these capabilities separately and yes do bracketing (its own button) with the remote (wired plugged in).

You are absolutely correct.

Now, I have the entry level model of its time, the K200D, which does have wired remote (also allowing for wireless radio remote) and with that you may indeed select bracketing and continuous shooting.

This is one of the reasons that I cling to my K200D - I just couldn't live without that option and I do wish that Pentax would be "forced by public demand" to re-introduce that feature on their future entry level models.

In my opinion many of the benefits of (D)SLR photography are more or less lost or severely constrained if one cannot use wired (radio) releases.
07-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. I thought as much. It does seem to be a bit of a limitation when bracketing is useful with macro photography as is using the remote.

07-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Tethering as an alternative?

QuoteOriginally posted by Heron1 Quote
Thank you for your replies. I thought as much. It does seem to be a bit of a limitation when bracketing is useful with macro photography as is using the remote.
Came to think - for certain applications, tethering, using PK_Tether could be an alternative. Dragging a laptop and cable around isn't exactly the same as remote or wired release, but for indoor macro "studio" shots and similar....?

You will find the tethering sofware (freeware) here:

PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras

I have it and it works fine with my K200D - but I have not tried it with bracketed shooting (yet).
07-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Inactive Account

The K5 does not have a separate bracketing button but something like the RAW button can be set for that purpose. I don't believe the K7 does either. They are both in the Drive mode menu. That has been one of the (minor) complaints about the newer layout of the flagships.

07-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The K5 does not have a separate bracketing button but something like the RAW button can be set for that purpose. I don't believe the K7 does either. They are both in the Drive mode menu. That has been one of the (minor) complaints about the newer layout of the flagships.

My old K100 had the port for an external wired release, and the menu item had the IR, setup so that you could not do the IR and Bracketing, but it was fully available with the wired option.

On my K20, the dedicated bracketing button is REALLY nice - I use it a lot.

I see on the K5 that they have moved the wired port to the right side of the body, so that it no longer interferes with a L Bracket when its mounted.

Why the K2K, Kx and Kr went to the IR remote only but left the bracketing in is just one of the more stupid things I have run across. I understand that they want to differentiate the models, but you still need to make them useful.

07-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

My old K100 had the port for an external wired release, and the menu item had the IR, setup so that you could not do the IR and Bracketing, but it was fully available with the wired option.

On my K20, the dedicated bracketing button is REALLY nice - I use it a lot.

I see on the K5 that they have moved the wired port to the right side of the body, so that it no longer interferes with a L Bracket when its mounted.

Why the K2K, Kx and Kr went to the IR remote only but left the bracketing in is just one of the more stupid things I have run across. I understand that they want to differentiate the models, but you still need to make them useful.

I don't know why they took away the wired remote option on those cameras either. Couldn't have been that much of a money saver and the addition of a second e-dial and the top screens are enough differentiation in control for me.

The K7/5 wired remote plug has its own dedicated door, not like the all in one on the K10/20 (which I actually preferred). I'm not a fan of the rubber doors they put on the 7/5 but I guess they can't fix something without screwing something else up For as much as I actually Use the remotes or even Bracketing, these are really non issues for me (for the most part).

07-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I don't know why they took away the wired remote option on those cameras either. Couldn't have been that much of a money saver and the addition of a second e-dial and the top screens are enough differentiation in control for me.

The K7/5 wired remote plug has its own dedicated door, not like the all in one on the K10/20 (which I actually preferred). I'm not a fan of the rubber doors they put on the 7/5 but I guess they can't fix something without screwing something else up For as much as I actually Use the remotes or even Bracketing, these are really non issues for me (for the most part).

I have an L Bracket mounted probably 90% of the time, and since its mounted, I have the wired remote plugged in to the body while the L Bracket is on, since I need to thread it through the L Bracket. For me its a real pain in the A**. However, taking the L Bracket off each time it even more of a Pain in the A**. Having the door on the other side, even if its rubber would be really nice. I could unplug the wired remote when I do not need it. However, a price point of $1K or under is my level of pain for a body. I do bracket a fair amount and I like the K20 a lot.

07-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One approach to address this limitation on non-wired remote capable bodies is to rig up an old-style cable release. See the articles in the DIY section like https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/142591-diy-digital-slr-camera...e-release.html
07-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I have an L Bracket mounted probably 90% of the time, and since its mounted, I have the wired remote plugged in to the body while the L Bracket is on, since I need to thread it through the L Bracket. For me its a real pain in the A**. However, taking the L Bracket off each time it even more of a Pain in the A**. Having the door on the other side, even if its rubber would be really nice. I could unplug the wired remote when I do not need it. However, a price point of $1K or under is my level of pain for a body. I do bracket a fair amount and I like the K20 a lot.

I realize we all have different needs/likes. For me, having a bracket on the camera that covers that side all the time would be a pain. I rarely remove the card from the camera and do my file transfers via USB.