Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glassless filter rings?

I have already learned the lesson dealt with in this thread concerning flare with a UV filter.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/151323-fireworks-problem.html

I have the 40 and 21 lens and hate the cute little factory hoods. I prefer to use a 49mm filter and an old push on cap. Short of taking a hammer to some old UV filters is there a glassless filter ring or other solution that would let me use any push on cap?

07-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A step up ring perhaps?
07-09-2011, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Filters have retaining rings just like lenses. You should be able to unscrew them and simply remove the glass.

07-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you not use step up or step down rings instead of dismantling a filter? I would think that it would be cheaper. Step down/up ring maybe $5. A UV filter even a cheap one is $20. Personally I'd go with the step up ring approach. Otherwise you could go asking around for damaged filters for free and dismantle those. I'm pretty sure 49mm isn't that hard to find or very much wanted by the Nikon or Canon crowd as those lenses are 55mm or something like that. 49mm isn't used anymore or atleast not common enough anymore. I know the 35mm DAL is 49mm but other company wise I mean.

07-09-2011, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
As JeffJS said, you can use a small pair of sharp pointed scissors as a spanner to remove the ring holding a filter element in place.

Really cheap UV filters are available to make a glassless ring if you don't want to change filter thread diameter using a step-up ring.
07-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Go on an eBay spree and you'll have more filters than you can ever use. I was giving them away and I still have 35 49mm filters.
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Go on an eBay spree and you'll have more filters than you can ever use. I was giving them away and I still have 35 49mm filters.
Exactly right. I'm in the same situation. Hay, want a filter? PM me, pay postage, and I'll mail you one, no charge for the filter.
07-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

I never really looked all that closely. I must have cheap filters, no spanner type fitting but they do have a retaining ring that looks removable. I am sure I have more than I need lying around here.

07-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Thanks!

I never really looked all that closely. I must have cheap filters, no spanner type fitting but they do have a retaining ring that looks removable. I am sure I have more than I need lying around here.

Yes. Your "retaining ring" is what I referred to. Sharp scissors can help removing it..put the scissors' points into the two grooves.
07-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@newarts, JeffJS: Good advice guys! I gave some points. I wish I knew this before. It took a lot of beating to smash the glass out of the filter that I am using as a 'glassles ring'

I used mine on a DA 15 mm. The stepup ring is not an option because you need more height (to clear the built in hood) than the typical stepup/down ring.
07-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Filters have retaining rings just like lenses. You should be able to unscrew them and simply remove the glass.

But some days the hammer is sooooo much more satisfying.
07-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote

I won't argue with that. The only problem is the mess it leaves behind.

07-10-2011, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

I won't argue with that. The only problem is the mess it leaves behind.

One can avoid the mess by hammering in a bog. But that is somehow... unsatisfying. For batch deglassing, I prefer 1) 10-20 filters screwed together, and 2) a pistol. One 22LR round is all it takes. For real fun, mount the filters on an old Porst SLR. Ready, aim, cowabunga!