Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #1

Auto ISO vs. TAv Mode

I'm sure I'm not getting the whole picture, but shooting in TAv mode isn't just the same as shooting in Manual mode and Auto ISO???

Regards,
Viernes

07-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the K-7, there is no Auto ISO in M mode. The camera goes to the lowest ISO you've set the Auto ISO range to, and stays there.
07-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It is the almost exactly the same as Manual mode with auto ISO (only you can't use auto-ISO in manual mode). Also with TAv you can use EV compentsation.
07-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In manual mode you also select the aperture too not just shutter speed.

07-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
In manual mode you also select the aperture too not just shutter speed.
You can choose both in TAv. The camera then picks an ISO value to match those settings. One reason why Pentax doesn't include TAv on the K-x or K-r is because the process is easier with two wheels.

I don't really work that way, though it might be fun on a K-5.
07-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
It is the almost exactly the same as Manual mode with auto ISO (only you can't use auto-ISO in manual mode). Also with TAv you can use EV compentsation.
Then my question is not about how the camera actually works, but about Pentax designers: why not simply put a AutoISO setting instead of a $%%%$ weird position on the dial?
07-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Viernes Quote
Then my question is not about how the camera actually works, but about Pentax designers: why not simply put a AutoISO setting instead of a $%%%$ weird position on the dial?
Convenience? I'd rather turn a dial than go diving into a menu. Now, if you want to complain about have to do just that to turn SR on and off, I'm all ears. Why the need to go menu diving? When I'm setting any of my major settings (aperture, speed, or ISO), I want to be able to quickly scroll that wheel all the way in one direction, knowing that I will hit my min/max settings. Having Auto as an option, I'd have to worry about stopping on that at one end. No thanks.
07-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Viernes Quote
I think that's how other companies do it. Pentax designers have the crazy idea that Manual Mode means Manual Mode.

07-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #9

Original Poster
I miss the SR switch on my old K100D. Just one thing a five year old camera is better than a K5-7.
07-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You can choose both in TAv. The camera then picks an ISO value to match those settings. One reason why Pentax doesn't include TAv on the K-x or K-r is because the process is easier with two wheels.

I don't really work that way, though it might be fun on a K-5.
Iso can be set on both but for Tv mode aperture is selected in relation to shutter speed. Manual mode you can change aperture as well as shutter speed independently. Sv mode is selection via dial.
07-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

When do you need the SR switch?

Octav