Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Self Portraits and Focusing

So I have recently gotten into the habit of taken self portraits. Yet I find it very hard for it to focus on me.

I have been using the K-x with the M-50mm 1.4 and was wondering if there was a better way to do the focus then to either:
A) have something where I am planning to stand and catch that focus first.
B) Estimate my distance and change the focus to that distance.

Though I am alright with those methods, I was wondering if there was an ability to set the camera to Catch when I am in focus.
I know that there is the Catch in focus ability, but It seems that the subject has to be in focus already for the timer to start, thus making it irrelevant.

So all in all, I'm wondering if there is an ability for you to set the camera timer to go of and have it capture the image when the subject is in focus, or something similar.

Also if there are any other methods ya'll use for self portraits that isn't A or B would be nice also! Thanks!

07-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

one of the simplest techniques to do this is to simply stop the lens down to f/8 place the focus point about roughly 2/3rds of a foot from the wall and simply stand against the wall and take the photo.

that's how I did this, although the lighting is more complicated:

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-28-2015 at 12:35 AM.
07-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's easy with my K20D: Set CIF, focus roughly, used the wired remote to hold the shutter, then walk into place. Or just hold the shutter down and wave the camera in front of my face until it clicks. Alas, your Kx has no wired remote. I don't know if a wireless remote will trip with CIF. So what you COULD do is tripod your camera, and use a clamp or thick rubber band to depress the shutter. Or get a friend to hold the shutter for you. If I only had a friend...
07-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I use manual focus. Focus on something in the range of where you will be.

07-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
-Very nice picture there Digitalis. I will try that soon. I've been shooting with a F stop of around the 2.4 - 4 range. So maybe that is why it is a bit more out of focus.

RioRico - Aha pretty sure you have a bunch of friends. If not I could be one Yeah it sucks to not have a wired remote for the kx and was just wondering if the wireless is that much worst than a wired one. Maybe it isnt?
07-11-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by penquin Quote
So I have recently gotten into the habit of taken self portraits. Yet I find it very hard for it to focus on me.

I have been using the K-x with the M-50mm 1.4 and was wondering if there was a better way to do the focus then to either:
A) have something where I am planning to stand and catch that focus first.
B) Estimate my distance and change the focus to that distance.

Though I am alright with those methods, I was wondering if there was an ability to set the camera to Catch when I am in focus.
I know that there is the Catch in focus ability, but It seems that the subject has to be in focus already for the timer to start, thus making it irrelevant.

So all in all, I'm wondering if there is an ability for you to set the camera timer to go of and have it capture the image when the subject is in focus, or something similar.

Also if there are any other methods ya'll use for self portraits that isn't A or B would be nice also! Thanks!
Have you considered using the (IR) remote control (with a 3s delay) in conjunction with catch-in focus?

That way, you should be able to move a bit forth and back in front of the camera and find your proper position - and just have 3 s to find a "natural attitude" when the count-down activates. I have not tried this trick with an M lens, but it works fine with AF lenses. (Requires that AF operation together with remote release is permitted in the Custom Stettings menu).
07-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Stand or sit where you will be posing for the photo, and focus on your tripod. If using an autofocus lens, put the camera in manual focus mode, put it on the tripod, set the timer, and go stand or sit at the point where you are posing. You may need to do a little bit of fine tuning, but this method works pretty well.