Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #1

k20d memory card images lost

I arrived home from a trip to discover all the images I had taken were gone from the memory card. I took a few more shots which were saved, but when I cycled the power they were gone too. I put the memory card into a computer, still nothing, so I reformatted the card which is now operating properly. The card is a Lexar Professional 8G 133x Speed.

Can anyone tell me what happened and how I might avoid this next time?

Cheers, Andrew

07-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

It's possible the card is defective and/or was not seated properly in the camera.

I saw this on a friend's p&s camera. The card was not making contact properly, so images were not being transferred to it. You could see the images on the temporary buffer in the camera, but none were on the card.

As I recall, we were able to see the images in camera, after the card was removed.

Don't know how this works with a k20d.
07-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you try out any recovery software on the card?

I've had a similar issue twice in my life with digital cameras, each time I was able to retrieve all but one or two of the images using recovery software.

Once was about 2005 with a Compact Flash card and once was earlier this year with my K20. The card in this case was faulty and has been returned but I was able to retrieve all but two photos from it.

Even though you've reformatted your card, if you haven't taken a lot of new photos with it, some of the old images may still be on the card. Reformatting doesn't really erase the photos, it just overwrites the directory, the images may still be there as some people have found out much to their horror!!!

I used the package from these people: PhotoRescue Home Page - PhotoRescue Wizard, PhotoRescue Expert, PhotoRescue Advanced

You can download a free trial which will scan your memory card to see if there are any images, it will display them in a thumbnail format and you only have to purchase the software to actually retrieve the full size images. If the images you want aren't there then you've only wasted a bit of time and a free download.

Worth a try if the images are valuable.
07-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
When time permits I'll try that and post the results.

Thanks.

07-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As pointed earlier, the card is likely the culprit.

Buy a new card.

And try to recover your files from your old card using a dedicated rescue software. use the freeware Recuva (Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download) and it works reasonably well.

Hope that the comment will help.
07-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll give that software link you posted a tryout myself.

I'll have to admit that both times I had cards fail, it was great to see that all but 1-2 of my photos were recoverable.
07-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Recuva is a gem and have used it to rescue images and other files from all kinds of flash cards and computer disks. Highly recommended.
10-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
follow up on original post

I did get a copy of Recuva and was able to get the images off of the memory card. I bought another 8GB card which is installed in the camera with about 50 images on it. Yesterday I took a single shot which would not record on the card. I retried a few times without success. I put the older, apparently unreliable, memory card into the camera and this recorded the image. I then reformatted the newer card which worked okay.

So it seems I can recover any lost images, but I don't have a lot of confidence taking the camera out and about without a backup memory card. Do you think I should return the camera, it is still under warranty?

10-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You should have it checked while it is still under warranty.

Some notes:
  1. Be aware that there are fake memory cards; might be one reason why it does not work reliably. Where did you buy? Brick and mortar store? Reputable online? Or some unknown eBay seller?
  2. If a card fails, do NOT use it till you have recovered the photos. Using it again will overwrite existing photos that could have been recovered. Also don't format, specifically a full format as that will also overwrite.
10-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
Both memory cards are Lexar 8GB and came from a reputable "bricks and mortar" store, London Drugs in Canada. I usually make regular uploads to the computer, so unless I go away on vacation and cannot do this most images will be safe. I'll try the factory reset of the camera as mentioned elsewhere on this site.

Thanks for your help.
10-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #11

All I know is that like others have said already that Recuva saved my butt recently.