Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-5 Image review unavailable - functions are blocked

Following Problem occurs with my 2 weeks old K5 and Firmware 1.10:
Shooting in daylight conditions.

Instant Review Option is OFF:
After each shutter release i press the "Play" button to see the image on the Display. Sometimes the Display stays dark and no image is displayed at all, plus all of the functions except Live View and shutter release are blocked! Shooting another frame or two brings everything back to normal.

Instant Review Option is ON (1Sec):
After each shutter release the image is displayed properly, almost immediately ~ 1 sec. BUT sometimes the time between release and display of the image takes a lot longer as usual, approx 4-5 sec. instead of 1 sec.

Here is a short video of how it looks (i am from Germany so the language is German as well)

I tried different lenses, A, FA, DA and 3 different SDHC Cards which worked fine with my K10D and K7 before.

No internal postprocessing settings are active like lens correction.

Can any1 confirm this K5 behavior?

Greetings!
MiK

Last edited by miklog; 08-10-2011 at 02:38 AM.
07-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by miklog Quote
After each shutter release the image is displayed properly, almost immediately ~ 1 sec. BUT sometimes the time between release and display of the image takes a lot longer as usual, approx 4-5 sec. instead of 1 sec.
This is normal, your buffer is filling up and it is taking additional internal processing power to dump the buffer to the card while trying to access the image to show the preview thus slowing the camera down a little.

As for the first issue, not sure what is going on there.

On another note, either you hands are extremely large or your K5 suffers from a case of shrinkage - your K5 looks extremely small...

--
07-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
On another note, either you hands are extremely large or your K5 suffers from a case of shrinkage - your K5 looks extremely small...
--
i wish it could be even smaller
07-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Instant Review Option is OFF:
After each shutter release i press the "Play" button to see the image on the Display. Sometimes the Display stays dark and no image is displayed at all, plus all of the functions except Live View and shutter release are blocked! Shooting another frame or two brings everything back to normal.
Mine does this as well, and I think its normal. If you press the review button before the processing light blinks (right side of d-pad), it won't review. Wait a sec and press it after the camera has processed the image. Then it will review fine.

07-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Mik
This may be a combination of buffer full as suggested by joe.penn and some in-camera post-processing functions. For example, if you have lens distortion correction On, or High-ISO correction on, the camera will process the file before writing it to the card.

You can only view/display a shot once the shot has been processed, and the file written into the card if the buffer is full.

Hope that the info will help.
07-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Mine does this as well, and I think its normal. If you press the review button before the processing light blinks (right side of d-pad), it won't review. Wait a sec and press it after the camera has processed the image. Then it will review fine.
Even if i wait for the image to write on the card (lights stop blinking) the camera will "freeze" and not display the image.

Last edited by miklog; 07-11-2011 at 04:00 PM.
07-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Mik
For example, if you have lens distortion correction On, or High-ISO correction on, the camera will process the file before writing it to the card.
As described none of the internal processings or corrections are active.
The Problem appears also on a type 10 SDHC Card.
07-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think its because your K5 is too small

--

07-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I think its because your K5 is too small
--
And its not even Q!
07-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #10

Maybe it is a firmware problem? It may be that button presses are ignored under certain circumstances when the cpu is processing / moving images to storage and you do it 6 times in a row, and your camera's too small.

I see there is/will be a 1.11 firmware update: Firmware 1.11 for Pentax K-5, K-r, 645D - Pentax Firmware - PentaxForums.com

I don't have a K5 - can anyone who does duplicate this behaviour? If so, we'd know it wasn't a quirk of one particular camera.

Last edited by MalcS; 07-12-2011 at 10:10 PM.
07-30-2011, 03:43 AM   #11

I have the same problem with my K5d (about one month old).

Strangely if I take another picture the review functions again (or after turning of and on again as well).
07-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I had a problem once where the instant review would just flash, for less than a second, after the photo was taken. No matter what I did with the settings (mine is set for 5 seconds), it did the same thing. I went through every menu and applied every Reset there was. That took care of the problem (and I still don't know what caused it to begin with). The only problem remaining was I had to go back and redo all of my preferences (dials, buttons, etc). It only happened once and so far, it's all good.

08-07-2011, 04:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by memira Quote
I have the same problem with my K5d (about one month old).

Strangely if I take another picture the review functions again (or after turning of and on again as well).
Hi Memira, i have exactly the same issue! Three weeks ago i sended the camera to a pentax repair service and they told me a few days ago that they see this issue for the first time.
Did you try to reset our settings to default ? did it help ?
I really dont like the fact that a camera for like 1000 shows such problems and i consider to change the system after having the K10 and K7.
Greetings! MiK
08-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax K-5 Shutterbug ? Common or not?

After official Pentax Service here in German could not help me out with this, i investigated the issue a little bit and localized it.

I can replicate the behavior (image will not show on display) just by staying a little bit longer on the shutterbutton (like half way pressed) after pressing it. A tiny fraction of time makes up the difference whether the camera will display the image later or freeze. See it on the following video..of course with German voice

I gave it the following description: Pentax K-5 Shutterbug

Test it with your own K-5:
Settings 16M JPG - Instant Review is OFF
1 - Click the shutterbutton and release it immediately
2 - Click the > Play button to display the picture
Image is displayed
3 - Click the shutterbutton and hold the finger a little bit longer, just like you do when you focus
4 - Click the > Play button to display the picture
Image is not displayed and camera freezes

Last edited by miklog; 08-12-2011 at 12:20 PM.
08-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have the exact same problem. I've had the camera more than 4 months and the issue cropped up almost immediately. Strange to say, I can't remember the last time I had the problem using DA lenses; but it can happen with a fair amount of regularity when using non-DA lenses. Also, it never happens when shooting with the self-timer.