Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #1

black gradient on bottom of all photos shot with k10d

i am getting a black gradient on the bottom of all my photos when shooting with the k10d and the pentax 18-55 DAL lens, but when i put the 18-55 DA lens on it seems to work fine. clearly there is something wrong with the lens, but is there anything that can be done to fix it? i get the same gradient when shooting with the same lens with the Kx body.

07-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Are you using a flash unit on your camera? It looks like when it goes past the sync speed and a part of the picture doesn't get lit. It happens sometimes when the flash isn't properly fixed on top of the camera so the timing's off by a hair.

Even though Pentax cams are designed to not pop a flash past 1/180 sec and avoid things like that you can still get it when the flash/cam doesn't communicate fully or the flash just messes up sync. My Sigma 530 Super does the same exact thing with shots over 1/125 even though it SHOULD go to 1/180
07-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
no, i'm not using a flash. both the k10d and the kx have the same flaw in all photos when using this particular lens.
07-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Wow!

Something blocking light in the lens or the optics mounted crooked maybe? -Send it back.

07-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Forum Member

Could it have anything to do with a lens hood?

Wrong one for the lens, or not on right, or needs rotating or ???
07-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm, I just ran a roll of film through my LX and a never-used-before M 50/1.7 was attached for 3 of the pictures which produced a black gradient on the right side just like yours.
My other M 50/1.7 works great but I thought I'd try this one out. Do you have a filter on your DAL? Come to think of it I had a HOYA Pro filter on the lens, maybe I'll have to try it without the filter?

I'd like to know if it can be repaired too.

Last edited by builttospill; 07-13-2011 at 07:41 AM.
07-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
there is no lens hood... there is a filter on it however. i will have to remove it and see if there is any difference.

as far as something blocking light, i cannot see any obstructions but i suppose it couldn't hurt to clean it.

07-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The image you posted looks quite distorted, so I almost want to say that there's something wrong with the lens. Do try without the filter, though- it's worth eliminating as a cause.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This doesn't look like a filter shadow. I'm betting more there is something going on with the rear of the lens that is blocking the light. Check and see if the black guard that is inside the lens mount has come loose or is misaligned somehow. Make sure there isn't something sticking out of the lens preventing the mirror from flipping all the way up. You say this happens with 2 different cameras and I assume doesn't happen with Other lenses.

A filter shadow would likely have an opposite shadow like on the top of the photo or all 4 corners or 2 of them. A Hood misalignment, same thing. A flash shadow would probably be semicircular unless you're using a square hood..

07-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's what mine turned out to look like:

07-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #11

Original Poster
i think i figured out the problem for this specific lens. if you look at the following image the lens is not centered... looks like it might have somehow been taken out of alignment during transport or something. what do you guys think?

07-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by controlapparatus Quote
i think i figured out the problem for this specific lens. if you look at the following image the lens is not centered... looks like it might have somehow been taken out of alignment during transport or something. what do you guys think?
Yes. As I said earlier the optics are crooked. Either knocked out of alignment by being dropped or by being installed incorrectly. I'd send it back.
07-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #13

Original Poster
ok, thank you all for your help. greatly appreciated.
07-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LX edge darkness

builttospill's LX camera most likely needs curtain travel time adjustments. You don't always see the problem because the severity is different at different shutter speeds. Something that looks fine at 1/250 can look ugly at 1/1000. Since you are in UT I would recommend Kew's camera service in Provo. It is a problem that can happen with any horizontal travel focal plane shutter.