Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #1

Pentax 645N: metering with manual lenses

Hello,

I am making the switch from Nikon DX to medium format with the Pentax 645N.

I wonder if the metering will still work if I mount a lens without the CPU contacts?

I know that for low end Nikon DSLRs, mounting a non CPU lenses (without electrical contacts) disables the exposure meters.

Thanks.

Avi

07-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With MF film I use an incident meter. It is far more accurate for the latitude of film than in-camera metering.

I think the metering will still work as the aperture is manually controlled, right? I'm not the guy to answer that, however, as my MF is Mamiya.

Or are you moving to the 645D?
07-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
aristophanes...thanks.

I am moving to the 645N.

I want to candid portraiture and that is a reason why metering is important for me.

In the Nikon DSLRs, when when you mount lenses whose aperture you can manually adjust, unless you have electrical contacts, the camera will not meter.....stupid really.

How is the Mamiya? Do you have the above problem with that?
07-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psychoanalyst Quote
aristophanes...thanks.

I am moving to the 645N.

I want to candid portraiture and that is a reason why metering is important for me.

In the Nikon DSLRs, when when you mount lenses whose aperture you can manually adjust, unless you have electrical contacts, the camera will not meter.....stupid really.

How is the Mamiya? Do you have the above problem with that?
MF candid portraits. Hmmmm....tricky if the subject is moving. I've used a Pentax 645N and it's AF was none too fast. I'd dial in my zone focusing as well.

My Mamiya gear is manual focus and meters with the lens at the f/stop chosen.

Ask in the 645 forum and refer to this:

Pentax 645N

And:

Jonathan Canlas Photography