Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 52
Photos getting deleted after lens swap

I finally got myself Sigma 10-20mm lens couple days ago. To test it i started to take some photos with it. Then I swapped it with kit lens (18-55) and took couple more photos. After I removed SD card and connected to laptop i couldn't find any of my photos - neither taken with Sigma or kit lens, only old photos taken prior to swap.

I repeated steps - took some pics with Sigma and noticed it creates new folder 101-XXXX (there is already folder 100-XXXX with old photos). As soon as i swap lenses folder 101-XXXX gets truncated. WTH? Can anyone explain to me why new folder gets truncated AFTER lens swap?

07-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
Does it do this with Other lens swaps? Kit lens vs something other than the sigma? It doesn't make any sense either way. Perhaps try formatting the card and see what happens (save all your other stuff first). I would suggest formatting it with a Full format in the computer rather than an in camera format.

07-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member
fccwpe's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perris, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 380
make sure you turn the camera OFF before switching lenses or you may short the contacts and fry something more than just your pictures.
07-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Carradale, Scotland
Posts: 289
internal battery/clock

Has your internal clock reset due to the internal battery losing its charge. It can do this if you leave the camera any length of time without its main battery, or with a flat battery. Possibly you take the battery out when you store your camera to prevent damage. This has come up before and IIRC that was the reason. Check the system clock before you take your next lot of pics, if its wrong the files will be stored in an out of sequence folder and may appear to be lost. (It has also happened to me) HTH

07-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 52
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Does it do this with Other lens swaps? Kit lens vs something other than the sigma? It doesn't make any sense either way. Perhaps try formatting the card and see what happens (save all your other stuff first). I would suggest formatting it with a Full format in the computer rather than an in camera format.

I haven't tested it with other lenses but i will tonight. If this continues I will format card and try again.
07-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 52
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
make sure you turn the camera OFF before switching lenses or you may short the contacts and fry something more than just your pictures.
It is OFF when swapping lenses. I wouldn't wanna swap lenses with camera on.
07-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 52
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
Has your internal clock reset due to the internal battery losing its charge. It can do this if you leave the camera any length of time without its main battery, or with a flat battery. Possibly you take the battery out when you store your camera to prevent damage. This has come up before and IIRC that was the reason. Check the system clock before you take your next lot of pics, if its wrong the files will be stored in an out of sequence folder and may appear to be lost. (It has also happened to me) HTH
Interesting points. Well, i didn't swap batteries and they have some juice left in them. Also, it creates new folder meaning the date keeps changing, isn't it? So, time shouldn't get reset after the lens swap but i will check on that.

But even with wrong date they have to be stored somewhere and i can't find them - folder 100-XXXX has couple dozen photos and none of them taken during last photo session (with either lens).

Is it possible that i have set RAW format and they are not visible with camera preview or Windows Explorer? But it is hard to believe cause at least they should be listed as files with no preview, right? I can't check it now cause camera is not with me.
07-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,430
QuoteOriginally posted by Black_ronin Quote
Also, it creates new folder meaning the date keeps changing, isn't it?
I think there is a 500 image limit to folders. Changing lens should not affect files on the card. Did you review images on the card after shooting, i.e., were they actually saved?

07-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 52
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think there is a 500 image limit to folders.
I think there is also some setting where you specify when to create new folder. I think mine set to 100-DDMM (DD- day, MM - month) or something like that. I need to check this one too.
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Changing lens should not affect files on the card. Did you review images on the card after shooting, i.e., were they actually saved?
Yes, images were there BEFORE every swap - i could preview them in camera screen.

I think it has something to do with SD card/ creating new folder every time. I am sure formatting SD card will fix it, i.e. no folder exists. I was just wondering if anyone faced the same problem as i am having and what exactly causing it.
07-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Pauld's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 497
QuoteOriginally posted by Black_ronin Quote
Is it possible that i have set RAW format and they are not visible with camera preview or Windows Explorer? But it is hard to believe cause at least they should be listed as files with no preview, right? I can't check it now cause camera is not with me.
You would still be able to see them when you review them on the camera itself. Windows Photo Explorer won't show you a thumbnail image but it should still show you that there is a file there be it either a PEF/DNG file.

I used Sigma lenses a lot and have never had this problem so I would say it has to be something internally with the camera and it sounds a lot like the clock battery.
07-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
That's weird.
First time I heard something like this happening.
I'll be interested how this develops.
07-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 34
Maybe of no value but have you tried a different memory card? Doesn't hurt to try.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, couple, folder, kit, lens, pentax help, photography, photos, sigma, swap
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help - I've deleted all my holiday photos ! :O( Adrian William Photographic Technique 10 08-09-2010 04:29 PM
Do marketplace threads get deleted if unsold? Sasquatch Site Suggestions and Help 14 01-04-2010 01:48 PM
Advice sought on 14mm lens swap selar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 04-16-2009 04:23 PM
Slightly OT about lens swap or sale of Viv Ser.1 solar1 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 12-19-2007 01:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top