Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Faulty SD card or dodgy K-x ?

About every 500 shots or so I get a row of around 5-6 pictures that all look like this. One end of the shot swapped with the main part. In addition today I noticed that when viewing on the K-x these shots were there one minute then 'overwritten' with some pictures from the day before.

I uploaded the card to windows and sure enough the old shots were inserted where these should be. Then in front of my eyes they changed to todays, only these half dozen photos are suffering from this weird effect.

Please tell me it's the card and not the body ! (And no, I've not tried another card)

Attached Images

07-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
Forum Member

I think I would empty the card and try formatting it, if the problem persists try another card if you still have a problem it's probably the body. Hopefully it's the card. Fingers crossed.

Also, this application might come in handy. You might be able to recover some lost pictures.
07-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #3
Forum Member

This is something new :O

I have problem with kingston SD card (weirdly my first kingston card works fine, maybe happen to later batches) on the K-x, randomly it will say memory card is full, and the picture is a blank saying camera could not view the picture. Load it up into the computer, it would just be a corrupted picture.

Had a swap at kingston service centre, and it still happened. Pretty annoying.
07-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You might want to reformat the card and then test it with a couple of cycles with h2testw. This is the best thing I have found for Windows so far. Personally I test my memory cards and usb sticks before putting them to use. In case the test fails it is usually straightforward to get an exchange for an item just bought, and, of course, one can use a tested card/stick with (more ) confidence.

07-15-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Bad card
07-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Bad card most likely - or bad card reader.

My solution would be:
- Get a genuine Sandisk SDHC card.
- Format it in the camera.
- Shoot away.
- Transfer the files to the computer using either the USB cable supplied in the box or using a brand-name external card reader.

I'd also run chkdsk on your PC hard drive to make sure there were no issues with either your PC's File Allocation Table or bad sectors.

Now may also be a good time to download and get familiar with tools like
Recuva:
Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

or

PC Inspector File Recovery:
PC Inspector - kostenlose Software für die Datenrettung von CONVAR - Die Datenretter.

just in case...
07-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good advice all, oddly and to the best of my knowledge I'd never formatted this card and it's done about 10,000 shots. So I've now formatted it! If it's the card it doesn't matter as I was just about to buy a Sandisk 8gb anyway as I've a big shoot coming up, just hope it was the sd and not the K-x......
07-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
Good advice all, oddly and to the best of my knowledge I'd never formatted this card and it's done about 10,000 shots. So I've now formatted it!
Hopefully you formatted the card in camera, not with the computer I re-format my card often, in fact I almost never delete images as that increases risk of data coruption.

07-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Hopefully you formatted the card in camera, not with the computer I re-format my card often, in fact I almost never delete images as that increases risk of data coruption.
Do you have a reference for that?
07-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I can second that.
When your done with a card(moving off data etc) format it with your camera prior to use. You'll be glad you did.

Also, make sure your card reader is up to snuff.

However, the best way to test if you card is good is to try another card.
It would also help if you can reproduce the error.
07-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I don't have a reference, but a rationale. The FAT file system used with memory cards is a de facto, not a formal standard. This means that the "standard" is what Microsoft has chosen to implement at any given time, and this has been tweaked numerous times, other implementations try to be compatible but there can be differences to what has been implemented "in camera" and "in computer". Hence, the best bet is formatting in camera: this way the same implementation is used to set up (= format) the file system and write image files to it. One simple way of ensuring the camera always gets to work with a file system which matches its idea of the correct implementation is routinely formatting the card in camera after copying the files to a computer, this also empties the card for reuse.

In addition to differences in FAT implementation flaky card readers can cause problems in particular when the computer tries to write something on the card and this happens to partially fail (the file system is now likely to be in an inconsistent state). A precaution against this (and also FAT implementation differences) would be using the write-protect feature of a card while copying files to the computer. Testing the card with h2testw or similar also tests the reader; test(s) will pass only if both work ok.
07-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I wonder if you can prove your hypothesis? I've never reformatted cards or memory sticks (except once when they are new), and I've never had a problem except when one of my memory sticks developed a fault. Now the experience of one person is annecdote not data, but it works for me...