Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #1

K7 Questions

I know the K7 does not have the best sensor or auto focus. How does it rate against My Nikon D40. Whats better whats worse. I see that The used and new price is good and thinking about getting one the K5 is too much to start out with and buy lens for it. This is some of my work Ronin19's deviantART Gallery to give you an idea what I do. I want to get into pentax because of the weather sealing, the backwards compatibility, prime lenses, Light weight compact body of the K7, and affordable lenses... I know there are pricy ones but not in the range of 2000$ and more. I also could use some suggestions on the first kit lens to start with.

07-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Despite some bashing the K-7 has been and is still an excellent dSLR camera. The K-7 design introduced some concepts re-used as such by the K-5 suggesting that Pentax got it right from the start with the K-7: the compact, rugged body, the handling, the viewfinder, the low-ISO IQ, the Hi continuous shooting capability... The list is longer than you think and an used K-7 is a very good value for money.

IMO the main weakness of the K7 is the low-light shooting which can be improved drastically with some fast lens(es) and some simple in-computer PP with dediced noise reduction software. A lesser weakness is AF-C IMHO especially compared to Canikon..

I looked at your website and my first thought is: you want the FA31mm f1.8 Ltd. The FA31mm has a great focal length (equivalent to the old 50mm), not too close, not too wide. The lens has an outstanding IQ: truly outstanding and there is no mistake if the FA31mm has the best score at Pentax Lens Reviews | Pentax in-depth reviews | PentaxForums.com (see also reviews at Photozone.de, slrgear.com, ...). The lens is fast (f1.8) and it pairs very nicely with K-7. The lens is pricy but it is one of the best, if not the best prime lens. I have a K-7 and the FA31mm is my most used prime lens by far.

I know that I did not answer directly your query for a kit lens. But you do not have to start with a kit lens. I did not...

Hope that the comment will assist. Welcome to the PF and to the K-7 world.
07-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 vs. Nikon D40, hmmm... I have the K-7 but have never used the Nikon so I'm guessing a little. First, the K-7 is an upper-level camera, Pentax basically has only two levels, so it has all the features available at the time for Pentax. That includes weather seals, 3" LCD with 921K dots, pentaprism viewfinder (100%, 0.92x mag), in-body stabilization (SR), magnesium alloy body, video, 77-segment metering, 5.2 fps, etc. It's heavier than the Nikon by a lot, 750g vs. 522g. The K-7 has a lot of extra features, and you can see those at review sites. It's missing scene modes.

I have a Pentax *ist DS which uses the same sensor as the D40. And it is a good sensor. I've done back to back noise comparisons, and the K-7 is better by maybe 1.5 stops in RAW. It's much easier to get a usable image out of the K-7, because the dynamic range and metering are also better, and there are more pixels to work with. I get a little nervous pushing ISO beyond 800 and 6400 is terrible. With the 6Mp Sony sensor, I tried to never raise ISO beyond 200. The K-7 lags the K-5 by a lot here. Otherwise, the cameras are fairly close, with the same chassis.

I really like using the camera and do not feel limited by it. I don't use video, and you want to check that to see if Pentax's implementation works for you. (I think they just said "OK, that checks off the video feature, what's next".)

For lenses, I got mine when they were cheaper, and I worked hard at it. It will be more expensive and more work today. I use the DA 16-45mm f4 lens as a kit lens, maybe $250 used. I have the 18-55mm weather-resistant kit lens just in case, but rarely have a need for weather resistance.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 07-16-2011 at 09:58 PM.
07-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice I currently use 35mm 1.7 DX at the moment... I love the that range. Im glad to here its not all bad with the K&. I think the IQ and ISO has got to be better than my D40 1600 is very bad. Im thinking I might get the 17-55 WR kit lens first just for the weather sealing. Later save up for the 31 1.8. That lens seems hard to find. Is the K& able to use FD lenses with adapter well

07-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
K-7 vs. Nikon D40, hmmm... I have the K-7 but have never used the Nikon so I'm guessing a little. First, the K-7 is an upper-level camera, Pentax basically has only two levels, so it has all the features available at the time for Pentax. That includes weather seals, 3" LCD with 921K dots, pentaprism viewfinder (100%, 0.92x mag), in-body stabilization (SR), magnesium alloy body, video, 77-segment metering, 5.2 fps, etc. It's heavier than the Nikon by a lot, 750g vs. 522g. The K-7 has a lot of extra features, and you can see those at review sites. It's missing scene modes.

I have a Pentax *ist DS which uses the same sensor as the D40. And it is a good sensor. I've done back to back noise comparisons, and the K-7 is better by maybe 1.5 stops in RAW. It's much easier to get a usable image out of the K-7, because the dynamic range and metering are also better, and there are more pixels to work with. I get a little nervous pushing ISO beyond 800 and 6400 is terrible. With the 6Mp Sony sensor, I tried to never raise ISO beyond 200. The K-7 lags the K-5 by a lot here. Otherwise, the cameras are fairly close, with the same chassis.

I really like using the camera and do not feel limited by it. I don't use video, and you want to check that to see if Pentax's implementation works for you. (I think they just said "OK, that checks off the video feature, what's next".)

For lenses, I got mine when they were cheaper, and I worked hard at it. It will be more expensive and more work today. I use the DA 16-45mm f4 lens as a kit lens, maybe $250 new. I have the 18-55mm weather-resistant kit lens just in case, but rarely have a need for weather resistance.

Thats what Im looking for... I have tried the D7000 I dont like how it feels in the hand. I need to have weather sealing because I go out in the worst weather. I would love the K5 but the price is too much and am willing to look at the K7 when I can get it 799 with kit.

I have the same experience with D40. I never go above 200. 800 is my max. It looks terrible any bit higher. I find it hampers me when Im trying to get events and concerts. But if 1600 is usable that would be a plus.
07-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

These might indirectly help:

Pentax K-7 Review: 22. Compared to: Digital Photography Review
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&xhr=t&q=k7+vs+d40&cp=9&pf=p&sclient=psy&sourc...w=1155&bih=578
07-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
cats five your second link goes no ware. For me I think The K7 would be a perfect fit. Its not the best of the best but I think it has the features I want at the price I want.

07-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
cats five your second link goes nowhere. For me I think The K7 would be a perfect fit. Its not the best of the best but I think it has the features I want at the price I want.
Strange, it did for me when I clicked it in my post. However, if you Google for "k7 vs d40" you will get what I was trying to post.
07-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The links work fine
07-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
now it works. I do think the image quality does look better. does anyone know if Old canon Manual focus lenses would work well with an adapter
07-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you're talking about FD bayonet mounts, then no not really, as the reg distance doesnt allow straightforward adaption, so the adapters have to use extra glass to achieve infinity focus. This degrades IQ quality. Maybe someone has removed the FD mount and done some wizardry with a dremel and epoxy, and grafted on a K mount.. ?

The reg. distance doesnt matter too much for portrait and macro, so you can then buy FD adapters without the extra glass, but forgoing infinity focus
07-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The sensors are very close in performance DxOMark - Compare sensors

The D40 is slightly better in low light, esp. @ ISO1600, and the K7 has a bit more colour depth. K7 sensor is rated slightly higher than D40 overall, but is miles behind every Pentax released since the K7.

That all said, the K7 can take some fantastic pics, but it's not a camera I'd buy if I wanted to take many pics over ISO800.
07-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Some people have had success with ISO 800+ though..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html
07-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #14

Original Poster
that's very sad how did they do that making a sensor worse than a 5 year old camera... that's depressing.... so low light concerts are out of the question. Unless I turn up noise reduction
07-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Concerts ? Get a dedicated offboard flash.

Mind you, these days i didnt think it possible to walk into a live gig with a big DSLR + flash unit.