Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #16

Original Poster
i see that done at local concerts most are papers and others.. that sounds like an idea

07-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 is fine for what it cost, good bang for the Buck.
Body is fantastic and no surprises as far as reliability goes.
07-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #18

Original Poster
good advice I see the photographers doing that all the time by me
07-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #19

Original Poster
I will keep that in mind EX finn

07-18-2011, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Make yourself a card that says " ROLLING STONE MAG - PRESS " on it, pin it to your lapel, and in you go !
07-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
that's very sad how did they do that making a sensor worse than a 5 year old camera... that's depressing.... so low light concerts are out of the question. Unless I turn up noise reduction
Well a K-x/K-r sensor leaves the D40 in it's dust. I've got a K-x and it's IQ is terrific.

Bottom line is at that price point you need to choose between the best sensor (K-x or K-r) or the best everything else (K-7). You can't have your cake and eat it too unless you buy the K-5.
07-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #22
JHD
Veteran Member

The obsession with high ISO is amusing. How did they ever manage with film?

07-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #23
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
K7 is fine for what it cost, good bang for the Buck.
Body is fantastic and no surprises as far as reliability goes.
So true, just when I though it was safe to step into k-5 waters, the mirror flop issue blooms. I'd rather have a relatively speaking low performance camera that is reliable than a so called high performance camera with a plethora of issues.
07-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #24

Original Poster
JHD good point a good fast prime will solve all. I would rather have a reliable camera than a load of problems. I need a bomb proof camera. I put my D40 threw hell I think. I think you guys convinced me. K7 with the WR kit lens to start with is great combo. I should see if I can get a few cheap primes off of KEH for now until I can afford limiteds.
07-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
JHD good point a good fast prime will solve all. I would rather have a reliable camera than a load of problems. I need a bomb proof camera. I put my D40 threw hell I think. I think you guys convinced me. K7 with the WR kit lens to start with is great combo. I should see if I can get a few cheap primes off of KEH for now until I can afford limiteds.
One of the great benefits of buying into a Pentax system is that you can mount any lens Pentax ever made, going back to the Paleolithic era. If you don't mind manual focus there are some outstanding gems in the M and K series of lenses that you can pick up for just a few bucks. Check out the Pentax Items For Sale section of this forum and the lens reviews. I use several of these lenses with my K7 and they produce exhibition-quality prints. You don't need to spend a fortune. I'd also tend to agree that you might be better off going for these good-quality 2nd hand lenses straight away rather than a kit lens. The K7 is a 15MP semi-pro camera, so you're getting a lot of quality for a relatively low price, but it needs good glass to get the best out of it. That said, the Pentax kit lenses are certainly a cut above in quality than most other brands.

And I totally agree with JHD. We get far too obsessed with high ISO. A friend of mine bought a Nikon D3X and told me how it has such high ISO quality that he could shoot in complete dark. Why would anyone spend enough money to feed the population of Somalia for a year so they can shoot who knows what in pitch blackness!? Mad.
Enjoy your K7. You'll love it. And a warm welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Wombat; 07-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.
07-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
One of the great benefits of buying into a Pentax system is that you can mount any lens Pentax ever made, going back to the Paleolithic era. If you don't mind manual focus there are some outstanding gems in the M and K series of lenses that you can pick up for just a few bucks. Check out the Pentax Items For Sale section of this forum and the lens reviews. I use several of these lenses with my K7 and they produce exhibition-quality prints. You don't need to spend a fortune. I'd also tend to agree that you might be better off going for these good-quality 2nd hand lenses straight away rather than a kit lens. The K7 is a 15MP semi-pro camera, so you're getting a lot of quality for a relatively low price, but it needs good glass to get the best out of it. That said, the Pentax kit lenses are certainly a cut above in quality than most other brands.

And I totally agree with JHD. We get far too obsessed with high ISO. A friend of mine bought a Nikon D3X and told me how it has such high ISO quality that he could shoot in complete dark. Why would anyone spend enough money to feed the population of Somalia for a year so they can shoot who knows what in pitch blackness!? Mad.
Enjoy your K7. You'll love it. And a warm welcome to the forum.
Plus one on this info
My most used lenses (out of 18-19 lenses) on my K7 in day to day shooting are an M 28 f3.5 (very sharp and very cheap) M50 f 1.7, Super Tak 55 f1.8 - these 3 lenses could easily be had for around $100 if you hunt around. I paid a total of $65 for the 3 I think
the most used AF lens I have is the DA14 2.8

the Wr kit lens is useful and is pretty decent around 35mm, less so at the extremes (18 and 55), but if it's pouring rain it's what I use
07-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all the advice here I will check out those lenses... One of the reasons I I kind of think a pro doesn't have to spend a fortune for his gear. Even the expensive DA*s are cheaper than Nikon top glass. Just need to save some money up now
07-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
The obsession with high ISO is amusing. How did they ever manage with film?
Remove low ISO film, install high ISO film, shoot.

With a DSLR, ISO range, DR and noise are fixed at the time of purchase. It's tough to say, "I will never need to shoot at ISO 6400 for the life of this camera." It's a marriage, not a date.

When I got my K-7, the K-x was the only available choice for high-ISO, so I did make that assumption. I got a lot of extra features vs. the K-x, and I like that. With a K-5 among the choices, I don't know; I might have just come up with more money. I have lenses that make up for the ISO, though.
07-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

It's not just at high ISO. The K-5 and even the K-x beat the K-7 at every ISO low or high, it's just that the gap becomes huge at high ISO. Look at the DR chart for example, the gap is embarrasing at every ISO, even the K-x has more DR at ISO800 than the K-7 has at ISO200.

Now I've got the K-5 after owning a K-x, I can appreciate just how nice the body and controls are compared to the entry level bodies, but I'd never swap my K-x for a K-7.
07-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #30

Original Poster
yeah thats a good point...