Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The D40 is slightly better in low light, esp. @ ISO1600
In artificial test metrics, perhaps. Not in actual pictures. I suspect their test methods are failing to account for the diffeence in pixel count as this affects how images are actually perceived by human beings.

QuoteQuote:
That all said, the K7 can take some fantastic pics, but it's not a camera I'd buy if I wanted to take many pics over ISO800.
Wouldn't be my first choice either if that were my main consideration. But it will still be a step up from the D40 in practice, and a pretty big one at that.

07-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Concerts ? Get a dedicated offboard flash.

Mind you, these days i didnt think it possible to walk into a live gig with a big DSLR + flash unit.
Depends on the concert. But FWIW, the difference any of these cameras at ISO 1600 is not all that great. Pictures will be noiser than ISO 200, sure, but no one expects otherwise of concett pictures. I shot for years using a camera with the same sensor as the D40, and my wife still does, and we both shoot at a professional level and get professional quality results. It's more about technique - inckuding PP technique - than it is about cameras. Well, lenses help :-)
07-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #33

Original Poster
marc thanks for the advice
07-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
I know the K7 does not have the best sensor or auto focus. How does it rate against My Nikon D40. Whats better whats worse. I see that The used and new price is good and thinking about getting one the K5 is too much to start out with and buy lens for it. This is some of my work Ronin19's deviantART Gallery to give you an idea what I do. I want to get into pentax because of the weather sealing, the backwards compatibility, prime lenses, Light weight compact body of the K7, and affordable lenses... I know there are pricy ones but not in the range of 2000$ and more. I also could use some suggestions on the first kit lens to start with.
I don't see anything in your gallery requiring particularly fast auto focus. Even still, the K7 is really no slouch. I don't know how it stacks up against Nikons upper end machines but for anything I ever did with it, it was plenty. From looking at your photos it appears a wide angle to normal zoom would suit you. The DA16-45 is a nice lens that won't break most banks (used). If you want something sharper and with better rendering, the DA*16-50 SDM. It is expensive but not $2k. There are also sigma and tamron options in the same range but I have no real experience with them.

Good luck and have fun with your new camera.

07-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #35

Original Poster
thanks Jeff. I do have problems with the D40 when I try sports or other events... but The D40 only has 3 focus points and doesn't track movement well. The AFS speed is nice though. I think pentax is fast enough.
07-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #36

Original Poster
jeffjs how good in the 16-50 DA* lens, I heard mix reviews on it, also why has the price gone up so much. I checked a year ago and it was 800$ now its 1300$ thats a big increase
07-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Depends on the concert. But FWIW, the difference any of these cameras at ISO 1600 is not all that great. Pictures will be noiser than ISO 200, sure, but no one expects otherwise of concett pictures. I shot for years using a camera with the same sensor as the D40, and my wife still does, and we both shoot at a professional level and get professional quality results. It's more about technique - inckuding PP technique - than it is about cameras. Well, lenses help :-)
Could be different in the US regarding cameras and concerts. Pocket P&S cams wouldn't be a problem here but everyone can see when a serious shooter ambles in with a camera bag and then procedes to take it out, mount a lens , mount a flash.

Actually here you'd be searched first - you woudlnt get in with that sort of kit

AS for PP work, yes its important too. I shoot with a nasty 600m Astroscope that has no ED glass, and getting serious into PP work is something i had to learn

07-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #38

Original Poster
Well I mostly go to free concerts and they don't care at all.
07-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Could be different in the US regarding cameras and concerts. Pocket P&S cams wouldn't be a problem here but everyone can see when a serious shooter ambles in with a camera bag and then procedes to take it out, mount a lens , mount a flash.

Actually here you'd be searched first - you woudlnt get in with that sort of kit

AS for PP work, yes its important too. I shoot with a nasty 600m Astroscope that has no ED glass, and getting serious into PP work is something i had to learn
No different here, if you want to bring in your DSLR and lenses then you will need a media pass (which are getting tougher to get lately)
and Flash with a media pass is almost always verbotten
which cracks me up because right behind me there will be hundreds of ps with the flash popping (ineffectively i might add)
07-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #40
Inactive Account

jeffjs how good in the 16-50 DA* lens, I heard mix reviews on it, also why has the price gone up so much. I checked a year ago and it was 800$ now its 1300$ thats a big increase
For Optics, I think it is one of the best out there. Yes, some experience trouble with the SDM (let's not beat that slaughtered horse in this thread) but I've not experienced many problems myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolleiman2007/sets/72157624602979073/detail/

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/106084-da%2A-1...at-can-do.html

I can't speak on the price. I've had mine since 2007 and don't really pay attention to it. I'm sure it can be had for far less than $1300 though. $900 new at B&H. Same price at Adorama.

Last edited by JeffJS; 07-20-2011 at 12:19 PM.
07-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #41

Original Poster
jeff I just checked the price at BH I tried adding it to cart and it was 899.00 still alot but that was a scare... I think I would rent the lens first to try it out.
07-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #42
Inactive Account

jeff I just checked the price at BH I tried adding it to cart and it was 899.00 still alot but that was a scare... I think I would rent the lens first to try it out.
It's still a lot of money. I won't deny that. Trying it out via rental is certainly a worthwhile option of you are really considering buying the lens. Beware however, renting it is only going to feed the need.

07-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #43
Veteran Member

The "trick" with the 16-50 is finding a good one. I tried twice and failed. I'd say before ordering one, brush up on how to test a new lens for focus (BF/FF) and decentering, and make sure whoever you order from has a return policy (like B&H or Adorama). This lens is definitely one lens I'd be very careful who you buy from, and one lens I'd thoroughly test during the return period.
07-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #44

Original Poster
twitch what about the 50-135mm