Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
rlatjsrud

[langtitle=ko]Sensor clean[/langtitle]

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

New camera lens Camera Lens Cleaning Pen fordigital SLR | eBay

My Pentax istDL's Sensor is very dirty. So I want to buy Sensor cleaning pen. But I don't trust it that cleaning pen may harm my camera CCD sensor.

Can I use this pen for cleaning?

07-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i would say yes, but for those types of things, make sur you buy some original item, not some copy. Sensor is the most important part of DSLR, so take care of it.
07-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Try to clean it with a big rocket blower...if that does not work you can try the other solutions, but before puting anything ON the sensor i would try to air the dust off.
07-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with the two previous posts. I looked at the ebay listing and I would be very cautious. The listing states it is for optic lenses. In the past I have had an off brand lens pen leave a carbon like residue on my lenses. I wouldn't want to worry about the cleaner leaving additional residue on a sensitive sensor.

07-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Rocket blower is an excellent starting point. If that does not work then there is always the Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1. It contains that lollipop cleaning stick with a special polyurethane rubber tip and special paper. It is apparently so good at what it does that technicians for other brands recommend it from what I have read here and elsewhere.
07-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Docrwm post sounds like the way to go.

Can anyone tell us if the sensor is one of the few not covered with a protective glass slip? That would make cleaning a different process.

I wouldn't think a blower will do much to dirt that may have been there for a couple of years. As it has had years to collect dirt find out how easy and what it would cost to have it done.
07-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
rlatjsrud

I did 40 times by rocket blower...

07-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Then as stated by Docrwm try the pentax cleaning kit...you don't want to mess up the sensor.
07-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
rlatjsrud

Opteka SSC-10 CCD CMOS TAC SLR Camera Sensor Cleaner | eBay

How about this? Is it good for CCD sensor?
07-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

+1 for the Pentax cleaning kit. Very easy to use and it works very well.
07-19-2011, 04:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Opteka SSC-10 CCD CMOS TAC SLR Camera Sensor Cleaner | eBay

How about this? Is it good for CCD sensor?
Sheese man, just buy the pentax one like has been recommended already. Don't cheap out when touching your sensor.
07-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Buy the pentax one like has been recommended already. Don't cheap out when touching your sensor.
I agree with Twitch. I'm all for economy and being thrifty, its part of why I love my Pentax system. BUT when it comes to the sensor I am only going to use well respected and established cleaning products. The Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 is one of those items that even Nikon and Canon technicians praise. Good luck.
07-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Docrwm and Twitch are right, get the O-ICK1, it is safe and a bargain. Rocket blower first, Official Pentax cleaning kit as needed. Or you can take it to a camera shop and have it professionally cleaned every month for US$35 or so each time. Right. No, stick with the Official Pentax kit.
07-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't know how one could get much more economical than the Pentax kit. I've had mine for three years or so and still have half a pad of the sticky paper.

It is so quick and EASY to use, as well as EFFECTIVE that I really can't imagine myself ever feeling a need to monkey around with any other product. Most especially I can't imagine paying somebody else to do a task which is so easily done in the comfort of your own home any time you feel like doing it. That it is so economical is just icing on the cake. Or gravy on the biscuit. Pick whatever culinary metaphor appeals to you.
07-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
rlatjsrud

but it's too expensive and I have only 20.

Also I don't want to spend money for 50dollar of only 1use of cleaner