Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #1

K mount lenses

Aloha,
Newbe here, 'will post particulars about me later. Right now my concern is the old K mount lenses from the ME Super days. I have a couple and want to use then on my K10D. When I attach them, the body won't turn on! Is there something that I can do to make them work.
Thanks in advance and God bless Ed

07-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, that is odd. As far as I know any k-mount lens should work, up to the ability of the lens. By that I mean if the lens is manual focus then of course it will not suddenly be auto-focus just because you put it on a modern camera.

What lenses do you have?

Does the camera turn on without any lens attached?

I assume you checked with a newer lens, and it works correctly?
07-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Start Here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

I think you might find your answer there. If not, then let us know.
07-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EdF Quote
Aloha,
Newbe here, 'will post particulars about me later. Right now my concern is the old K mount lenses from the ME Super days. I have a couple and want to use then on my K10D. When I attach them, the body won't turn on! Is there something that I can do to make them work.
Thanks in advance and God bless Ed
EdF

Welcome to Pentax Forums. I notice that you are from the Hawaii I bet you have some nice pictures of the island.

Try turning off the camera before changing lenses. I remember someone having problems with a lens and that was one of the suggestions. Also take out the batteries then change lenses. Hope this helps it’s all I can offer, I never had the troubles you are describing.

07-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
EdF

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I did what Glee suggested and it works!! Now I see that the lens is a bit fogy, do you reckon that will degrade the image a bunch?
Tks and God bless Ed
07-19-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EdF Quote
Now I see that the lens is a bit fogy, do you reckon that will degrade the image a bunch?
Foggy? Now you have a soft romantic portrait lens! People pay good money for those (when the softness is intentional).

Yeah, severe fogging can degrade IQ. If the fogging is due to condensation of humidity in the lens, like when taking the lens form AC indoors to tropical outdoors, try setting a hair drier on LOW and blow it on the glass. From then on, don't subject the lens to sudden heat/humidity changes.

If it's hazing due to deterioration of the lens-element cement, or many many TINY BUBBLES (la la la!) in the glass due to element separation, the only somewhat reasonable cure is to replace the element(s), like by finding the same lens with a munged body and doing a glass transplant. (The unreasonable fix involves re-grinding the element surfaces at maybe US$100+ per surface. Right.)

The lens may still be usable if you don't point it into bright light. Or just save it for soft hazy romantic portraits that disguise skin diseases. You can charge extra!
07-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fungus

I bet that the lens has fungus in it. It is a common problem in tropical areas. If you look through the lens with the lens off the camera and see spider-webby stuff inside it is fungus. If you want to use the lens for special effects don't store it with your other stuff since if is "infected".