Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

First SLR

Dear users- I am in the process of converting myself from point and shoot to digital slr. I like pentax model as i have been using the bridge camera for some time. Could you please suggest which would suit me. K-X or K-R? I read in the forum there is a FF issue with KR. I would like to shoot outdoors /my family and kids.....

Thanks
Rama

07-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There can be a FF issue with all cameras. It depends usually on the lens itself and (sometimes) the lighting used. Either the Kr or Kx would probably serve your needs. It's more a matter of deciding how much you want to spend and what color do you want. You could also look into other used options. K20d or K7 for instance.

07-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Both cameras are great. You can't go wrong with either. The FF issue with the K-r may be a bit exaggerated. If it were me, I would find the best deal on either camera, the lowest price that includes the camera body and two lenses, the 18-55 and the 55-200 or 55-300.

I will say that if you shot a lot of indoor shots, at home, or in a gymnasium, I'd go with the K-r. If most of your shots are outside, either is good.
07-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every Pentax* DSLR has had some problem that looks bad in a review or on a site like this. My first one has terrible soft JPGs at the default settings and I think set a record for firmware revisions. My newer one has some issue with vibrations at certain shutter speeds or something, and the e-dials might fail at any time. So far my main problem is still 100% user error with either camera.

*If you look you can probably find some common user or review complaint for every brand and model, I'm just not familiar enough with the other brands to make a blanket statement including them.

It does make sense to be aware of potential problems, look for them on your new camera, and be able to return or exchange it easily. That may mean not going for the absolute minimum price.

As far as which model, the K-r has some useful upgrades over the K-x. I like the better LCD and choice of battery type.

07-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #5

imam K-r i stavio 1.11 firmware i nemam nikakvih problema ni sa FF ni sa e-biranjem,imao sam i K-x i moja preporuka je za ako novci nisu problem K-r jer je bolji i napredniji u puno stvari (bolja stabilizacija,potvrda točke fokusa,2 vrste baterija,brži fokus,brži LW,pomočna fokus lampica,bolji lcd,fino podešavanje fokusa......) po mojem dojmu K-r je viša klasa od K-x
07-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In my opinioin look for the best price between the two models they are very similar and very good cameras. As for the ff issue i wouldnt be too worried about it. Its a minor inconvience but after a whike you learn to work with it.
07-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm all for the k-x. I love this camera! You can't beat it for the price. I don't see the point in paying a little extra for the k-r.