Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FarFel53 Quote
OK - update: SMC-M 100mm f4 Macro, mounted on the K100D, just shot 100+ without missing a beat. No hangups, no arguments, no big deal. Very nice lens. I don't think battery power level has anything to do with the hangups on the K-r, as it did same with fresh charge battery. Feels to me like a simple mechanical problem, likely in the linkage, as speculated above.
I'm thinking my simple solution to this problem is to leave the macro mounted on the K100D. That 6.1meg sensor really is pretty sufficient for most purposes, after all. I'm not inclined to go tweaking levers and tabs on either the new K-r body or the sweet lens, hoping for a solution...but if one of you does, I'd LOVE to hear your results!
I've tried to apply some gentle pressure to the lever as suggested above although I dont see anything very drastic. Let me see if I get anything in the coming month as I will be shooting extensively in my brother's marriage. Hope the problem is gone!

08-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I could be way off base here, but is there any chance that the lens mount is shorting out the contacts on the camera mount inappropriately? I've heard of this causing lockups and other strange behaviour before. It would also help to explain why just the one lens is causing it.
08-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I could be way off base here, but is there any chance that the lens mount is shorting out the contacts on the camera mount inappropriately? I've heard of this causing lockups and other strange behaviour before. It would also help to explain why just the one lens is causing it.
How to confirm this? and is there a solution?
08-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I really don't know enough about this to be advising anyone, I just wanted to throw the idea out there in case someone more knowledgeable just hadn't thought of it.

I know that when having issues using the Catch in Focus function, they put metallic tape on part of the lens mount so that it shorts all the contacts. I know dirty or damaged contacts on an AF lens can cause a lot of weird issues. If the lens mount on your lens is painted but scuffed, I'm thinking maybe just some of the pins on the camera mount are being shorted, or perhaps if it's unpainted only some of them are making contact with the lens at all.

I'm not advising you to do anything here. Just thinking it might be an angle worth searching for more info on.

Again, I could be totally off base here, in which case sorry for wasting your time.

08-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really don't know enough about this to be advising anyone, I just wanted to throw the idea out there in case someone more knowledgeable just hadn't thought of it.

I know that when having issues using the Catch in Focus function, they put metallic tape on part of the lens mount so that it shorts all the contacts. I know dirty or damaged contacts on an AF lens can cause a lot of weird issues. If the lens mount on your lens is painted but scuffed, I'm thinking maybe just some of the pins on the camera mount are being shorted, or perhaps if it's unpainted only some of them are making contact with the lens at all.

I'm not advising you to do anything here. Just thinking it might be an angle worth searching for more info on.

Again, I could be totally off base here, in which case sorry for wasting your time.
But also the other thing is there are no contacts with manual lenses!
08-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
But also the other thing is there are no contacts with manual lenses!
That's the point. If the lens mount is unpainted metal and isn't making a firm contact with the mount, I could see it not shorting all the contacts on the camera properly. If the lens mount isn't conductive, as in painted or plastic, it's a non issue (unless you want to use CIF).
08-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's the point. If the lens mount is unpainted metal and isn't making a firm contact with the mount, I could see it not shorting all the contacts on the camera properly. If the lens mount isn't conductive, as in painted or plastic, it's a non issue (unless you want to use CIF).
Thanks Philoslothical for this, can you elaborate on your points please for better understanding.

That's the point. If the lens mount is unpainted metal .....[/I] properly.
Yes mine is a unpainted metal...

....and isn't making a firm contact with the mount, I could see it not shorting all the contacts on the camera properly.
....will this also happen? when the face is unpainted and touching the mount on the camera I am assuming the contact you refer here is the surface contact since there are no communication points as they are not there anyway in the manual lenses - if this is the case of touching the body - there is going to be shorting, so I presume here - if this happens then that is the reason for the hangups.
In order to stop this - how to achieve this on my M85 f2? Is shorting good or bad? Will this affect the body?

...If the lens mount isn't conductive, as in painted or plastic, it's a non issue (unless you want to use CIF).
Why only CIF?

I might have also totally misunderstood your response (just getting confused wih the term 'shorting') totally wrongly - this is why my questions.
thanks
08-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Last things first, there's a post by Rico about CIF and contact shorting here.

To be clear, the only posts I've read about lockups (probably) resulting from shorting were where contacts between the body and an AF lens were dirty or damaged, resulting in incomplete connections. I'm wildly speculating that if your lens mount isn't flush with the body contacts, that perhaps the camera is getting confused from the incomplete, or maybe intermittent shorting.

I could well be wrong, as I said before, so you should probably take this with a grain of salt. If you have some metal tape it would be easy enough to test, applying a bit of it to the lens mount in the right spot would add a bit of thickness and properly short the contacts. If it makes no difference, I think you can safely rule out everything I've said here.

There's a post by newarts here that illustrates the location for the foil tape.