Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #1

K-X Zoom Issues

Hi everyone, I have the K-x and using the 55-200mm for zoom shooting. It seems as though the shots are not really zoomed in when viewing, but when I am editing, I can zoom in and see great detail. However, I cannot print. I am a novice so I feel certain I am missing something with this lens. Any ideas?

07-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Give us some details. Are you printing from your computer? What software are you using? Windows, Mac, Linux?
07-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is it you can't print? The entire Photo or the Zoomed View?

Welcome aboard by the way..

07-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

As noted, your problem is not clear and some additional information would make helping you easier.

First, what lens are you using? I do not think there is a 55-200.

Have you taken a picture at both extremes of the zoom range and compared?

What software are you using? Or are you trying to print from the camera?

Are you shooting in jpeg or RAW?

Please post some pictures to illustrate the issue and I am sure we can sort it out.

07-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. You are correct jatrax, it is a 50-200mm lens. I am using the Pentax Digital Utility software to view and edit photos. Most have been taken in the JPEG format. I apologize for the lack of clarity in my post. What I am trying to determine is, should the 50-200 lens should provide quite a bit of zoom. When I look at the photos on the K-x they really do not appear to be zoomed in (when the actual shot was taken) as much as I expected. Below I have attached the original shot (f/16;ISO 400; 150mm) and the zoomed photo (top) from that shot. I guess I am just wondering if there are settings that I need to look at that would enhance the zoom properties. I tried loading these as thumbnails, but I have not gotten the hang of it just yet.
Attached Images

07-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Well, Your first problem is your white balance unless my screen is in serious need of a calibration. That may correct the second problem which is lack of contrast to help define objects (especially in the distance).

I think Part of what you may be referring to is a Crop (selecting a part of the photo and chopping off the rest). Your 50-200 could be thought of as an equivalent to a 4x zoom and that's the most you will ever get out of it. At 150mm you are at 3x.

I would suggest starting to shoot RAW+JPG so you have the actual original file to work with. Correcting camera processing errors on a JPG will always result in a degraded image but a RAW (PEF or DNG), you can change and twist as much as you like without losing quality in your photo. Any chance you can upload the original out of camera file?

07-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you want to "zoom in more" then you could get the Pentax 55-300 which is very reasonably priced.

That first photo looks like you have a very cheap filter on the front of your lens, do you have some sort of UV filter on it?
07-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
Actually no filter attached, just the standard lens. That is just zoomed in from the original. I have been considering the 55-300.

07-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
I have changed to the RAW format. I will take some additional shots soon and upload them to get your thoughts. I appreciate the WB info. I will work with that as well and see what results I have.
07-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ok, here is a question. The image I see through my zoom lens (50-200) when I take the shot and the image that shows on the LCD after the shot are very different. The zoomed shot is just not there. Why is that? This will probably explain most of my zoom issues.
07-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Are you saying that what you see in your viewfinder before you take your photo and what you see on your screen after you take your photo are Different? There will be Some difference because your viewfinder is not showing you 100%. It is something like 93% if I'm not mistaken so your LCD may be showing you More than what is in your viewfinder. However, when you set your lens to 200mm you most certainly should be Getting, a 200mm shot.

To experiment a little with this, point the camera at the side of your car or something similar. Zoom the lens so it Just fills the viewfinder left to right, bumper to bumper. Take a photo and look at the LCD. See how much extra space on the left and right you observe. Now do the same thing again, using Live View. What you see before you take the shot, should be In the shot.

07-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #12

Original Poster
Actually what I see in the viewfinder when I take the shot is far more zoomed in than the LCD shows the shot to be. You are correct in that the LCD shows more, but it is definitely not the same zoomed photo that I shot. For example this morning I took a shot of a bird at the top of a tree. I could actually see his beak. After taking the shot, the LCD barely even shows the bird, it shows more tree than I was actually viewing through the lens.
07-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I guess Now I'm Really confused. The 50-200 (as are most of the rest) is a Manual Zoom. That is, the camera does not control zoom, You do. Does this happen with your 18-55 or was the bird shot With the 18-55?

You don't have some sort of magnifier on the Viewfinder do you?

07-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #14

Original Poster
The bird was shot with the 50-200. And the shot captured, was definitely not the shot I was viewing thru the lens. If I take a shot from 6 feet away with the 50-200, the image shot matches what I see thru the lens. The bird shot was approximately 50 feet away when taken. I do manually zoom in then use the auto focus. There is not a magnifier on the viewfinder. I am thoroughly confused myself. I guess I am thinking a 200mm lens from 50-75 feet away should come in pretty close.
07-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Inactive Account

The Top two photos were taken with a 50mm lens. The bottom two, a 200mm lens. I don't have the 50-200 anymore so these will have to do. The power transformer is about 70 feet away. The fire hydrant is closer to 100 feet away. Ignore photo quality, they're crap but the difference in size is what is important here. I would expect to get the same results with the 50-200. You should also be able to match up 50mm on your 18-55 to 50mm on your 50-200.

Are you truly getting different types of results?

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo