Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K1000 lens help!

So today at a consignment shop i found two lenses for what i thought was a great bargain, the first a Vivitar 85-205mm lens for $40, and the second one a Tiffen 55mm sky 1-a for just $5. there was a pentax body at the store so i put the lenses on that one to make sure they would fit on my own K1000 since i've heard that all lenses pentax lenses are backwards compatible, and my logic was if they fit on the pentax at the store, then they would fit on mine. however, when i got home and tried to try out my new purchases, i wasn't able to fit them on. i'm fairly certain that if they WERE compatible with my camera i would be able to get them on, however i can't. basically i'm looking for someone to let me know either (a. that i did indeed buy the wrong type of lenses, or (b. that the lenses should fit and i am somehow putting them on incorrectly. thanks!

07-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you posts some photos of the lens mount?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The Vivitar probably has a guard flange that is too big for the DSLRs. That would be the black solid part that protrudes from the rear of the lens. You either need to cut it down or remove it all together. Compare the rear of the lens to one of your working lenses and you'll see what I mean.

07-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The Vivitar probably has a guard flange that is too big for the DSLRs. That would be the black solid part that protrudes from the rear of the lens. You either need to cut it down or remove it all together. Compare the rear of the lens to one of your working lenses and you'll see what I mean.
That shouldn't be a problem with the K1000. But I can't imagine what the problem is. My only guess: the Vivitar is an old lens. Could it maybe be a screw mount, and the body in the store was a screw mount camera? A Spotmatic would look a lot like a K1000 (because it nearly is). The only other theory I have is that the Vivitar was some other kind of mount with an adapter, and the adapter was Left Behind on the store camera. Seems unlikely.

The name for the second lens mentioned is the name for a filter. Wild guess, the Vivitar 135mm f2.8 made by Komine. But too wild for useful advice.

If the OP has any kind of digital camera, a photo or several might help identify the mount problem.

07-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

For some reason I missed the part about wanting to put them on a K1000. I thought he said that they fit on his K1000 but wouldn't work on his camera (assuming a digital). Mistakes happen.

07-25-2011, 04:48 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by PdotSdot18 Quote
So today at a consignment shop i found two lenses for what i thought was a great bargain, the first a Vivitar 85-205mm lens for $40, and the second one a Tiffen 55mm sky 1-a for just $5. there was a pentax body at the store so i put the lenses on that one to make sure they would fit on my own K1000 since i've heard that all lenses pentax lenses are backwards compatible, and my logic was if they fit on the pentax at the store, then they would fit on mine. however, when i got home and tried to try out my new purchases, i wasn't able to fit them on. i'm fairly certain that if they WERE compatible with my camera i would be able to get them on, however i can't. basically i'm looking for someone to let me know either (a. that i did indeed buy the wrong type of lenses, or (b. that the lenses should fit and i am somehow putting them on incorrectly. thanks!
I have an old K camera that still works and still has the original batteries in it! But that aside, I seem to remeber reading that the lenses wern't 100% backward compatible and the newer lenses would lose some functionality on older bodies...but that was years ago so not sure now.
07-26-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What other lenses work with your K1000? Do you have a pic of the new lenses' mount?