Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picture folder compression ZIP?

So I am having some issues with folder compression. I am slowly drowning in photos. Right now I have about 123GB of photos. I have a 500GB hard drive on my computer itself, but I have since moved all the photos to an external hard drive (500GB as well) for storage. This stays permanently connected to my computer for access. I also have a 1TB HD that I keep in a safe just for backup purposes.

Is there anyway that I can compress these photos, but still access them on the fly? I have tried to "move to ZIP folder" but It keeps saying that it "must be moved to the desktop" I guess you cant make a zip on an external harddrive? I dont see why not...?

But other than "not take photos" how can I manage these better? Most photos are about 10MB in size (Highest quality 14MP JPEG.) I would shoot RAW more often, but I simply cant afford to save the JPEG, let-alone the RAW files.

Any help for a newb?

07-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can zip photos, but size jpegs themselves are already highly-compressed, it won't do you much good.

For all your zipping and unzipping needs I recommend 7zip, which is much faster than the built-in windows utility.

7-Zip

To solve your problem, I'd just get a bigger disk. 123gb isn't very much relatively speaking, so a 2tb disk should be able to last you a few years

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can zip photos, but size jpegs themselves are already highly-compressed, it won't do you much good.

For all your zipping and unzipping needs I recommend 7zip, which is much faster than the built-in windows utility.

7-Zip

To solve your problem, I'd just get a bigger disk. 123gb isn't very much relatively speaking, so a 2tb disk should be able to last you a few years
123GB is just in the last year
I have 7zip, but only used it to UNZIP never tried zipping with it.
07-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

WinZip is much faster than 7zip which I find to be about the same speed as (but more useful than) the Win7 zipping facility. New versions of WinZip are nagware; my WinZip 12.1 Pro isn't bothersome. But WinZip sometimes doesn't appear as a right-click option with the Win7 file manager, so I may use 7zip as a portal to WinZip. In a WinZip window, select some files or/and folders, then right-click, then choose System --> WinZip --> Add to... That is how I move (or copy) files to an archive.

Last edited by RioRico; 07-24-2011 at 11:42 AM.
07-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos with less detail or color compress better. Bad shots can be deleted. So the obvious problem is, your shots are too good.

I have an extra computer with castoff parts and new hard drives connected to the network. I turn it on, back everything up to it and turn it off. It isn't that elegant or live, but all the hardware is free, the storage is cheap, and it works.
07-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

I fully agree with Adam. Use 7-zip. I have used it for nearly 6 years now (XP & Windows 7 64bits). The software is definitely more efficient than Winzip.

Practically, the compression and decompression speed will be linked with the options that you select. By default, 7-zip compresses better than Winzip and the compression time may be 1.5 to 3 times slower, but the decompression speed is identical to Winzip.