Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those of us with heavy film experience appreciate your problem here--because it demonstrates how digital photography is still connected to "old" film photography.

If you used special "tungsten" film sold back in the old days--meant to be used with tungsten lights of a certain color temperature--your shots came out fine. If you weren't using tungsten temp lights, your shots were blue.

If you used Daylight balanced/temperature film with tungsten lights, your shots came out sepia toned. (They came out cool, but if you didn't want that effect, it was a disaster.)

The point is, digital (DSLR) sensors still behave like the old film cameras holding film, except that with auto white balance (AWB) on modern DSLRs, the cameras can now detect the correct color temperature 99.9% of the time. In other words, unlike film cameras, DSLRs are able to correctly adjust for the proper color temp. (Film cameras can't adjust--you have to load the proper type of film for the color temps in the particular shooting situation.)

As said, when shooting raw, everything is fixable, but I think it's important to learn why color temps act as they do when shooting JPEG.

Finally, please note that modern DSLRS are MOSTLY excellent at detecting the correct color temps, but this hasn't always been the case. And even today, some cameras aren't great at it, compared to the Pentaxes.

07-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

My K7 is better at AWB than my E510 was, but I have no idea how new Olympus cameras compare to the E510. I've never used anything except AWB, but all my decent images (20 in a good year!) are 'developed' from RAW so even if the AWB gets it wrong I still get the result I think I should have.
07-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
...I think it's important to learn why color temps act as they do when shooting JPEG.
I agree. Yesterday, I was shooting a bed & breakfast inn. The owners had lit the rooms with a mixture of lamps (tungsten) and windows (daylight). I wanted the rooms to look warm and inviting, so I white-balanced primarily on the window light and let the bedside lamps go warm. If I had white-balanced on the lamps, the areas lit by them (the night stands and pillows) would have looked good, but the rest of the room would have been cool (blue).
07-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

For what it's worth...when I first got my K10D, I tried using the AWB, but it kept trying to "fix" things for me and gave me inconsistent results.

07-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Tao, you make a great point that may point many of us--including me--into at least LEARNING how to manually control our balance:

It's something that a lot of us are just lazy about...always depending on AWB for regular situations...but I imagine that we can learn to get spectacular results by setting it manually.

99.9999% of my shooting is outdoors in Sunny South Florida, so it doesn't take a genius to realize it's daylight balance. But put me anywhere else and I don't have a freaking clue.