Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #1

Why are my photos blue?

Took K-7 to zoo today with Camberon 28-200/4.0-5.6 and Pentax A 50/2.8 macro and got blue images. Have not changed settings in camera menu that I am aware of. Only settings have been for shutter priority and to set ISO to 200-800. no filters or hoods used as the hoods did not make it into the bag as going to the zoo last minute decision and these two were lenses I have not played with yet on the camera. I have gotten excellent photos in other situations with several other manual and auto lenses. Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

P.S. Will try to post photo as soon as I can get to home computer.

Last edited by BugsAunt; 07-24-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: addition of PS
07-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BugsAunt Quote
Took K-7 to zoo today with Camberon 28-200/4.0-5.6 and Pentax A 50/2.8 macro and got blue images. Have not changed settings in camera menu that I am aware of. Only settings have been for shutter priority and to set ISO to 200-800. no filters or hoods used as the hoods did not make it into the bag as going to the zoo last minute decision and these two were lenses I have not played with yet on the camera. I have gotten excellent photos in other situations with several other manual and auto lenses. Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

/Users/angelaappelt/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/dallas zoo/IMGP0135.JPG
Have you forgotten that the WB on the camera was set to tungsten?
07-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes I did forget. However, did not reset from original factory settings and got great results at my nephews baseball games over the past several weeks. I will try to take the same two lenses out on Monday and set to daylight. Thanks for the quick response.

Last edited by BugsAunt; 07-24-2011 at 08:50 PM.
07-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
tungsten whitebalance will make everything blue in order to cancel out the yellowness in tungsten light. you can still easily fix the blue photos, just run em through almost any image editing program, go to white balance and give it a higher kelvin value (aka, move the slider to the right). Do this until everything is about right.

07-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Will run a couple through PP and see what comes out. Thanks for reminding me that all is not lost. This instance puts into mind that it may be time to move onto investigating just what some of the menu functions entail and move forward in the learning curve. Also, maybe another trip into the manual. Thanks.
07-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try fixing in Pentax's photo software as your first port of call. It can process some jpeg settings without affecting image quality. From memory only, I think white balance may be one of these.
07-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Use AWB and shoot in RAW... No more WB problems...
07-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #8

"Use AWB and shoot in RAW... No more WB problems..."

+1

07-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ragingtornado Quote
"Use AWB and shoot in RAW... No more WB problems..."

+1
+2, and if you do accidentally shoot tungsten in daylight it's easy to correct this way (I usually fine tune wb in post if I have something white in the shot using custom WB
07-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a similar problem. With my 18-55 lens it all looked good. I then put on my manual 50M lens and all the shots came out blue!

good thing I shoot in RAW. Fixed that problem in about two seconds.

Not sure why the color shifted.
07-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #11

Original Poster
All was fine until this trip. Used DA(L) 35mm, A 50/2.0, Sears 75-300mm and DA 18-55 WR prior to this outdoors. The only reason why I may not have had any problems prior to this is the fact nothing in the frame was yellow or indoors. The zoo exhibits were all a yellow/tan, niece in yellow dress and flowers a strong yellow. Any of the photos not containing yellow or purple while using the A 50 macro came out fine (3/16 photos). Have not used RAW yet as hard to process when on road for work six out of seven and only carry an iPad for personal use. May switch to RAW + JPEG until such time as I can get more time at home with the desk top (plenty of cards on hand). Also, will watch those settings a little more closely at start up and different lighting situations. Thanks to all.
07-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Were you using auto-white balance? The camera might have been seeing all that yellow and tried to compensate.
07-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #13

Original Poster
No, not auto WB. A quick look into the WB settings showed the camera set in tungsten. Since purchasing the camera I have played with or changed very few menu settings. Have put, as of the zoo trip, all my lenses on the K-7. Now that does not mean I have not changed something in passing on exterior buttons and wheels. I am trying to get some workable basics down and trying to make a lens kit decision as I leave for vacation in Colorado soon. Would not like to have all those wonderful scenes come out blue, especially after making arrangements to borrow a DA12-24 for the trip.
07-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Shoot RAW+JPG and your problems with WB are gone. JPG if you don't like to mess with the RAW files and the PEF or DNG (RAW) in case something like this happens again. I find it best to just leave the camera on AWB. Back in the day, AWB was pretty awful but they seem to have a good handle on it with later models. You should be able to see right away on your screen and now know what to correct if something is off.

07-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BugsAunt Quote
No, not auto WB. A quick look into the WB settings showed the camera set in tungsten. Since purchasing the camera I have played with or changed very few menu settings. Have put, as of the zoo trip, all my lenses on the K-7. Now that does not mean I have not changed something in passing on exterior buttons and wheels. I am trying to get some workable basics down and trying to make a lens kit decision as I leave for vacation in Colorado soon. Would not like to have all those wonderful scenes come out blue, especially after making arrangements to borrow a DA12-24 for the trip.
I use AWB with my K-7 and shoot RAW almost all the time in Colorado. We often have completely cloudless skies, which give a blue tint subjects in shadows. Here's a random example, in a room lit by mostly north-facing windows. This is with the as-shot WB, 4950K:

It looks fine with a WB of 6000K. If you happen to notice shade or northern light, check your screen. It's just a point of interest in RAW, kind of annoying in JPG.

I still remember the shots I took in 2005 with tungsten AWB, outside in the daytime. Part of the learning process is learning to reset the unusual options you were experimenting with, before shooting again.