Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Camera lock out when too hot

The other day I was shooting in LiveView. The camera had been in the car all day (hidden - not in the sun) and the air temperature when I started shooting was 35C. After a few minutes the temp warning thermometer appeared.

The K-x manual states in part: '...If Live View is used in places where the camera may become hot, such as in direct sunlight, l (temperature warning) may appear on the monitor. Cancel Live View, as the internal temperature of the camera is rising....'

I could not cancel LV, nor could I even turn the camera off! When I rotated the on/off switch to off, the camera did not turn off and the light next to the switch stayed on. I had to open the battery door to turn the camera off.

Bearing in mind what the manual states, does there appear to be a problem with the camera?

07-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LiveView requires a lot of power to supply the electronics and the risk of overheating in LV is real. This has been reported several times in PF during hot weather.

Simply try to avoid to use LV during a heat wave.
07-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kitkat Quote
The camera had been in the car all day (hidden - not in the sun) and the air temperature when I started shooting was 35C.
If the ambient temperature outside the car was 35C, it was likely much, much hotter inside. If you didn't let the camera cool down before shooting, it was most likely well over the 40C the K-x is rated for.

Sounds like the camera overheated and locked up. If you've only done this once, it's unlikely there is any permanent damage.