Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When use flash with the off-camera cord, it sometimes fail to fire

I really do not know if the problem is with the hotshoe or with the cord.

I have k-5. and I recently bought a flash braket with a vivtar off camera cord for pentax. I have pentax 540 and yongnuo 560 flash.

During use of this set, sometimes it does not fire my flash. It happen on both flash. When it happens, I took the flash off and reconnect to the cord, then it will work..This happen sometimes..It really irritated.

so now I do not know what is the problem. I really hope the problem is the cord, so I can just buy a new one. but what if the problem is the hotshoe?? Is there way to check it out?

07-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the 540 behave this way when mounted on the shoe? I would suspect a faulty cord is your problem. An intermittent break in the wire somewhere. If I'm correct, it will eventually fail completely.

07-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the flash works on the camera, it must work on a cord, unless the cord is defective. I had numerous problems with 3rd party extension cord, but none with genuine Pentax solution.
07-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Try shooting with the camera in X (Flash X-Sync) mode. If it consistently fires, it would lead me to believe that something in the cord is intermittently not communicating the automatic settings with the flash.

07-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If your not interested in TTL an RF-602 radio Tx and Rx are cheap to buy, mine have been 100% reliable for over a year now. Manual only with this solution, no TTL.

Chris
07-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it perhaps when you are taking photos in quick succession? The flash may not have had time to recharge.
07-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Or that the connections at the cord ends are slightly off their contacts, and some slight manipulations make it work again.